Home
Posted By: CJC73 M98 Low Profile Safety - 09/30/20
Wanting to swap out my safety to a low profile one so the scope doesn't have to be 3" above the rifle.

Anyone done this? How difficult is it to do? Looked for some instructions online and the one I found quick last night was quite vague.
Posted By: flintlocke Re: M98 Low Profile Safety - 09/30/20
Brownells still sells the Beuhler style safety, last one I bought was almost 50 bucks which is a blatant ripoff IMO. They can be tricky to install properly, depending on the knowledge of the installer, some just drop in, some you need to adjust by very careful grinding so that they just lift the striker/cocking piece off of the sear.
Posted By: CJC73 Re: M98 Low Profile Safety - 09/30/20
any other options?
Posted By: efw Re: M98 Low Profile Safety - 09/30/20
The Wisner requires machining of the shroud but you end up with a nice 2-position Model 70-style safety. I have several of these.

Dakota, Gentry, and others make a 3-position shroud safety that replaces the whole assembly and requires machining and fitting as well. I’ve had a couple of these and they’re my favorite.

All available through Brownells.
Posted By: z1r Re: M98 Low Profile Safety - 09/30/20
Choices range for about $50 to $300 starting with the Buehler style safety on up to the Recknagel or Lapour style side swing safety. Eric pretty much covered it. All but the Buehler style require some machining work.

Or, you can install an aftermarket trigger like the Timney with a trigger block safety for a little over $100.
The Wisner one looks good but really don't have the tools to do so.

Originally Posted by efw
The Wisner requires machining of the shroud but you end up with a nice 2-position Model 70-style safety. I have several of these.

who installed it for you?
Be aware that unlike the 3 position safety, as supplied, the two position safeties don't allow you to open the bolt with the safety on. For some, that is a deal breaker.

Jim Kobe, JKob on the forum can install either for you.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: M98 Low Profile Safety - 09/30/20
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Brownells still sells the Beuhler style safety, last one I bought was almost 50 bucks which is a blatant ripoff IMO. They can be tricky to install properly, depending on the knowledge of the installer, some just drop in, some you need to adjust by very careful grinding so that they just lift the striker/cocking piece off of the sear.

Alternatively, SARCO and Numrich/Gun Parts Corp sell a 1-piece low scope safety for 98s for under $20. Like the Buehler style, you want to be comfortable with disassembling a Mauser 98 bolt (Kuhnhausen's "The Mauser Bolt Actions" is an excellent source on how to) before attempting installation.

I have done about a dozen of these, roughly half Buehler and half 1-piece. Sometimes they just drop in; often it takes a little grinding on the cocking pice as flintlocke mentioned. I have one 98 where I could not get a 1-piece safety in, as it just could not be inserted into the bolt shroud. I'm saving that one for a rainy day before working on it again..
That GPC safety is a piece of crap. My Dad asked me to install one for him, first trip to the range the wing broke off. I've heard from Mauser "sporterizing" enthusiasts that they have encountered the same issues. That safety is a copy of I believe the one used by Santa Barbara on their commercial Mausers. The difference being that the Santa Barbara piece was made from better materials. Just my 2 cents.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: M98 Low Profile Safety - 09/30/20
PM jkob, Fire contributor.

He’s a good Mauser smith, can install any of the mentioned options.

DF
Originally Posted by z1r
Be aware that unlike the 3 position safety, as supplied, the two position safeties don't allow you to open the bolt with the safety on. For some, that is a deal breaker.

Not a deal breaker for me.

Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF

Will do... thanks
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: M98 Low Profile Safety - 09/30/20
Originally Posted by CJC73
Originally Posted by z1r

DF

Will do... thanks

Jim fixed a two position Mauser safety to NOT lock the bolt. It can be done.

DF
Originally Posted by z1r

DF

Will do... thanks

DF

Yes, it can be DONE, hence my saying, "as supplied." But, you lose the option to lock the bolt.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: M98 Low Profile Safety - 10/01/20
Originally Posted by z1r
Originally Posted by z1r

DF

Will do... thanks

DF

Yes, it can be DONE, hence my saying, "as supplied." But, you lose the option to lock the bolt.

I guess I understand the push to lock the bolt. I've never thought that was a big deal, prefer to load and unload my rifles with the safety engaged.

To me, choosing between locking the bolt or loading/unloading on safe with a two position safety, I'll go with the latter.

YMMV

DF
Posted By: CJC73 Re: M98 Low Profile Safety - 10/01/20
I load/unload from the bottom so not a big deal. I can see if you have to cycle each round to unload it would be beneficial. I just unload the mag and then cycle the bolt for the chambered one.

but as you said. YMMV. a lot of ways to do it, do what you're comfortable doing.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: M98 Low Profile Safety - 10/01/20
I load/unload from the bottom so not a big deal.

You load Mauser 98s from the bottom?
Posted By: z1r Re: M98 Low Profile Safety - 10/01/20
Originally Posted by Theo Gallus

Lol, that was my reaction too.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: M98 Low Profile Safety - 10/01/20
Originally Posted by z1r
Originally Posted by Theo Gallus

Lol, that was my reaction too.

With a hinged floor plate, maybe unloading from the bottom....

But loading...?

DF
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: M98 Low Profile Safety - 10/02/20
Yeah, loading from the bottom works OK, especially with a hinged floorplate, but apparently not many people try it.

I have installed the Buehler-style safety made by Timney on several actions (and the original Buehler on a couple) with no problems, but have done considerably work on 98s. Have at least FN commercial actions with Gentry 3-position safeties, installed by Gentry, and they work great.
Posted By: iskra Re: M98 Low Profile Safety - 10/02/20
I'm amazed at the cost of the Buhler style model! Agreeing with above, Ripppppppp....! I'd try eBay. If to find one purporting to be genuine Buhler, they were quite good. That said, also concurring and extending to many safety conversions, not necessarily drop-in functionality.
Good luck!
John
Posted By: z1r Re: M98 Low Profile Safety - 10/02/20
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Yeah, loading from the bottom works OK, especially with a hinged floorplate, but apparently not many people try it.

Or, they simply prefer loading from the top. Hinged floorplates are nice, but not required. Guess I never had the need to load 5 real fast.

My first Centerfire bolt action was a rem 700 ADL. So I got used to unloading by working the bolt. On a Mauser, there's no need to close the bolt so it's quick work to unload.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: M98 Low Profile Safety - 10/02/20
Have a 3-position M70 style (make unknown) on a custom FN I picked up last Spring that works perfectly. Also had an FN with the factory wing and a pretty heavy trigger, even with a lighter spring. After checking with Timney, I installed one of theirs with the side, trigger-blocking safety, but left the wing in place. I can lock the bolt with the sear disengaged, block the trigger, or both, with no conflict, and the pull with the Timney is very nice. Had a couple of Buehlers in the past, but always preferred the wing on the left side, where it could be flipped off almost like cocking an external hammer, with my thumb falling into place on the grip, just not quietly.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: M98 Low Profile Safety - 10/02/20

Since you say so, JB, I'll believe it.

But I'm not going to try it. My fingers have enough to do loading from the top.
Posted By: z1r Re: M98 Low Profile Safety - 10/02/20
^^^^^This
Posted By: CJC73 Re: M98 Low Profile Safety - 10/02/20
The most I ever load is 2 in the magazine. one in the chamber. Simple to do, open the floor plate, drop two in and close it up.
Posted By: JoeBob Re: M98 Low Profile Safety - 10/02/20
I’ve put on three of the Dakotas with nothing more than a Dremel. It’s pretty easy.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: M98 Low Profile Safety - 10/03/20
Never thought about loading a bolt gun from the bottom.

I guess you could turn it upside down, open the floor plate, drop in the rounds, close the floor plate.

Hopefully have them all turned the right way. 😉

DF
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: M98 Low Profile Safety - 10/03/20
Originally Posted by z1r

Or, you can install an aftermarket trigger like the Timney with a trigger block safety for a little over $100.

And a commercial bolt shroud................looks good.

But I prefer the Dakota 3-pos wing safety, but they are expensive.

MM
Posted By: WTF Re: M98 Low Profile Safety - 10/03/20
I'll just keep loading mine the way they were designed to be loaded.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: M98 Low Profile Safety - 10/03/20
Originally Posted by WTF
I'll just keep loading mine the way they were designed to be loaded.

With stripper clips?
grin
Posted By: WTF Re: M98 Low Profile Safety - 10/03/20
Sometimes
Posted By: Gun_Doc Re: M98 Low Profile Safety - 12/02/20
I guess I understand the push to lock the bolt. I've never thought that was a big deal, prefer to load and unload my rifles with the safety engaged.

To me, choosing between locking the bolt or loading/unloading on safe with a two position safety, I'll go with the latter.

YMMV

DF

I hear you, but I prefer to have the bolt locked on safe. When unloading, you are "at risk" for only a few seconds between disengaging the safety and opening the bolt. After that, you never have to close the bolt to unload a controlled feed rifle "through the action." (For that matter, if you orient the rifle correctly, you can unload even a push feed rifle through the action without ever closing the bolt.) It is easy enough to point the rifle in a safe direction for the few seconds between disengaging the safety and opening the bolt. If you are truly worried about the rifle going off when you disengage the safety, you have an issue you really need to address. That said, to each his own.

Gun Doc
Posted By: Gun_Doc Re: M98 Low Profile Safety - 12/02/20
Originally Posted by z1r

Or, they simply prefer loading from the top. Hinged floorplates are nice, but not required. Guess I never had the need to load 5 real fast.

My first Centerfire bolt action was a rem 700 ADL. So I got used to unloading by working the bolt. On a Mauser, there's no need to close the bolt so it's quick work to unload.

If you orient the rifle correctly, you can unload even a push feed rifle through the action without ever closing the bolt. Point the muzzle straight up, then push the bolt forward only as far as necessary to strip the cartridge from the magazine. At this point, even if the rifle has a "tight" chamber, the cartridge is not yet seated in the chamber. Retract the bolt and allow the cartridge to fall out of the action. Repeat until the rifle is unloaded.
Posted By: captjohn Re: M98 Low Profile Safety - 12/04/20
Best option ship it to Jim Kobe, he just did three for me, I had him do the model 70 type swing safety. the Buehler is fine but in the safe position they are always tucked right up against the scope and are pain IMO, the swing ends the discussion. Jim does awesome work, and will see more of my mausers!
© 24hourcampfire