Home
Posted By: Trigger1963 Springfield sporter - 12/08/20
Here is a Springfield sporter I picked up don't know much about ,it is a tack driver

Attached picture 20201208_064840.jpg
Attached picture 20201208_070000.jpg
Attached picture 20201208_065923.jpg
Attached picture 20201208_065358.jpg
Attached picture 20201208_065436.jpg
Posted By: rickt300 Re: Springfield sporter - 12/08/20
Love Springfields, I notice they took the mushroom off the cocking piece, always a mistake as in the case of a case rupture that curved forward edge directs gas away from your face. Beautiful rifle for sure.
Posted By: Craigster Re: Springfield sporter - 12/10/20
The "mushroom" of the cocking piece has nothing to do with directing/deflecting gas.
Posted By: Hubert Re: Springfield sporter - 12/10/20
the mushroom cocking piece is there so you can recock it in case of a misfire...
Posted By: efw Re: Springfield sporter - 12/11/20
Originally Posted by rickt300
Love Springfields, I notice they took the mushroom off the cocking piece, always a mistake as in the case of a case rupture that curved forward edge directs gas away from your face. Beautiful rifle for sure.

Originally Posted by Craigster
The "mushroom" of the cocking piece has nothing to do with directing/deflecting gas.

Exactly; it was to manually re-cock in case of a FTF.

I love Springfields this is a beauty. I’d like to get one that is nicely done & have JES reborn it to .338.
Posted By: kaboku68 Re: Springfield sporter - 12/11/20
Leave it. Its a beaut!
Very nice..
Posted By: iskra Re: Springfield sporter - 12/11/20
Mushroom influence here? A touch of "silly siben"! smile

A decent high SN number 1903 Springfield, that's good! My old eyes and your pix, can't discern some features well, but that cocking piece appearing more 'mauser-like' than modified '03 striker. That would be weird! Looks/your narrative; such a good shooter & likely that decent commercial stock a considerably superior fit & comfort, especially for scope use as 'holes' suggest; such compared to the military stocks!

This rifle in the budget sporter category. Functional, as you note 'accurate' and decent stock, good shooting. Either use 'as is' or flush it out with metal redo. For me, it'd be OK just as is.

I'm also an admirer of the Springfield '03 & A3 genres. Great, rugged bolt rifles! Fortunately too, with an original & minty Springfield NRA Sporter, swooning a bit as occasionally speaking of it! smile

Thanks Trigger for bringing your rifle to the Forum & sharing!
Best & Stay Safe!
John
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Springfield sporter - 12/11/20
Nice sporter. I wouldn't do a thing to it except hunt the bejapers out of it!

More than one "old time" writer mentioned the utility of the cocking knobs on Springfields and Krags for defecting errant escaped gasses away from the shooter's eye. Dual purpose appendages I would say.

The reason headless cocking pieces gained a bit of a following "back in the day" was to speed up lock time. I've had them on both Krags and 03's and can't honestly tell a difference for it's saving a couple milliseconds of lock time - but they do look cool. (The Armory even provided headless cocking pieces on some Krag carbines, M1899's I think, with a knurled surface to give fingers a purchase. I have one laying on my desk beside this laptop as we speak. It'll go into one of my Krag sporters eventually.) What they found was it was too much of a good thing: primer piercings increased due to the added striker speed, and without the cocking knob there to do its thing... My theory is it was as much to do with crappy primers back then as anything else.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Springfield sporter - 12/12/20
I've seen tons of them around here. Often rechambered to 308 Norma magnum or 30-338. Nice rifles that generally shoot very well. Prices on nice clean sporters are generally pretty good too..
Posted By: Craigster Re: Springfield sporter - 12/12/20
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I've seen tons of them around here. Often rechambered to 308 Norma magnum or 30-338. Nice rifles that generally shoot very well. Prices on nice clean sporters are generally pretty good too..

I have a nice custom in 300 Apex.
Posted By: 5thShock Re: Springfield sporter - 12/14/20
After reading about RAR bolts coming apart and other misadventures with budget bolts, these conversions of real and steel soldier proof weapions seem the creme de la creme. 03's, P17.s and wouldn't mind finding a hacksawed Mr. C. Dundee Enfield in some gunstore's rust barrel.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Springfield sporter - 12/14/20
I honestly can't speak to "modern" rifle actions (and you'll never see me do so in these hallowed pages), but I can definitely opine in agreement about your comment regarding the old "soldier proof" weapons (and those which were derived from same, including such things as Model 54 and 70 Winchesters, etc.).
Posted By: efw Re: Springfield sporter - 12/14/20
My Remington-built custom 03-A3 6.5-06:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I have a Remington-built 03-A3 in 6-250 as well; two of my favorites!

Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Springfield sporter - 12/15/20
👍👍👍
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Springfield sporter - 12/15/20
I'm a sucker for bubba sporterized 03 and 03a3's from the 50's and 60's. I'd never consider it for one all military. When they have been altered past restoreability then just shoot the hell out of them. The original parkerizing is a all weather durable finish .most of mine are still 30-06 but I do have 1 in 308 Norma mag and another in 300 win mag. With herter ,fajen or ec bishop wood I like them all. Have 03 bottom metal on all of them. Mb
Posted By: 5thShock Re: Springfield sporter - 12/16/20
Something out of the Weapon Shops of Isher, a strange and lovely elegance.
efw, that looks like some of the custom guns from Grice Gun Shop in Clearfield or a friend of mine made in his little back country shop.. Very nice..
Posted By: gunswizard Re: Springfield sporter - 12/16/20
I have a Springfield 1922 M2 that has been sporterized, it is the last rifle that I would ever sell. While it was a decent job when I bought it several years ago I have improved it by having the checkering recut and the metal rust blued. I also converted it to a blind magazine eliminating the hideous magazine bottom, it now has an '03 floorplate. while I was at it I gave the trigger guard a more pleasing sporting contour. It has a Griffin & Howe mount with Lyman Alaskan with LEE dot. It shoots as well as the day it left the arsenal. It will put 50 rounds of CCI Std. Velocity in one ragged hole @ 50 yds. Amazing for a rifle that is nearly 100 yrs. old.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Springfield sporter - 12/16/20
Originally Posted by 5thShock
Something out of the Weapon Shops of Isher, a strange and lovely elegance.

"The right to own weapons is the right to be free."
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Springfield sporter - 12/16/20
Plotting future projects can be almost as much fun as actually executing them. I recently acquired a very early M1903 Remington barreled action (not 03A3). Looking at it and then looking at the pile of cast-off pistol grip '03 military stocks I have has me thinking strange thoughts. Initially I thought to reconstruct the gun into pure military guise, but that's been done to death and I for one would know it would be an ersatz putup job every time I looked at it. Then I thought of the works of art created by Tom Shelhamer at Niedner's during the Depression , and the boys at Griffin&Howe at the same time, who worked wonders on Armory-issued M1922, M1, M2, C-Style, and NRA Sporter stocks for less-than-well-heeled sportsmen. Michael Petrov devoted some space in his books on pre-war custom rifles to such low budget rifles - some of them are quite elegant. Such a project would serve the purpose of cleaning up some of the '03 junk I've accumulated (including a new Criterion barrel I ordered while laying in hospital a few weeks ago, bored out of my skull and armed with a smartphone), and provide me with something I realized I don't have: a utilitarian '03 Springfield sporter to take the place of my original NRA Sporter for woods loafing. Let me finish the Winchester High Wall project I'm in the middle of and then on to The Cinderella Springfield project!
Posted By: Joe Re: Springfield sporter - 12/16/20
Gary, that sounds like my sporter I posted a couple of weeks ago. I have been sorely tempted to have it rebored to .35 Whelen but, so far have resisted but, who knows how much longer. whistle
Posted By: Seafire Re: Springfield sporter - 12/17/20
Originally Posted by efw

Nice , very nice...

even if I am not a fan of that stock's wood... is that Maple?

My favorite two actions are the 1917 Enfield and the Springfield....

Wonder why you never see them that have been rechambered back to the original 1903 Springfield Cartridge....

I've got an action made by Rock Island in 1921... it came as a complete gun, but a rotting Sporter Stock and a rusted inside and out barrel..
which I took off and scrapped... paid $100 for it, due to the shape of the package.... however, the action alone was worth much more..

Have been thinking either the new barrel in the 03 Springfield Cartridge... ( just necked up a 270 case)..
or the other option... a 220 Swift, with a 1 in 7 or 8 twist....the action has already been drilled and tapped for scope mounts...
Posted By: efw Re: Springfield sporter - 12/17/20
Thanks John!

Yes, that’s maple. Got it in the ‘fire classifieds. I set out to build a period-correct sporter complete with gaudy stock; mission accomplished eh? blush

I think a Rock Island (I assume you’re talking 1917?) in .30-03 would be very cool, but in a fast-twist Swift even cooler!

I’ve always assumed one never sees -03s because of the prevalence of -06 cases and the lack of performance improvement by the mod? I could be wrong.

Thanks for the compliment!
Posted By: efw Re: Springfield sporter - 12/17/20
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
efw, that looks like some of the custom guns from Grice Gun Shop in Clearfield... Very nice..

Thanks that was my intention for the project.

In spite of twist disappointment (Was advertised as 1-in-9” but it’s prolly more like 14”!) it shoots 100 GR AMs & TTSXs quite nicely. I took out some does from an area farm with it last fall.
Posted By: GeorgianG Re: Springfield sporter - 01/05/21
Hi guys, I am looking for Springfield 1903 A3 sporter in 35 Whelen. I saw old 07/ 2019 conversation about it. If anyone has one or knows one or points me in right direction would be much appreciated.
Posted By: iskra Re: Springfield sporter - 01/05/21
G... You might find just your Springfield sporter 35 Whelen as you describe. But I'll bet you'd probably be better off playing the whole field of Springfield sporter general conversions, picking one that best matches all your other requirements and just have it rebored with net of brand new barrel in effect. Odds better and considerably more likely to end up with what you want!
Just my take!
Happy New Year!
John
Posted By: efw Re: Springfield sporter - 01/08/21
Originally Posted by GeorgianG
Hi guys, I am looking for Springfield 1903 A3 sporter in 35 Whelen. I saw old 07/ 2019 conversation about it. If anyone has one or knows one or points me in right direction would be much appreciated.

Post a “WTB” in classifieds and keep an eye on gunsamerica and gunbroker.

Iskra’s idea is worthwhile if you know what to look for. I got my action at a good price and built my rifle from the ground up.

One thing to be careful of is bubba’d rifles. Misaligned D&T are the reason windage-adjustable scope rings were invented and they’re common.

A rebore of a well done sporter is a good option tho.
Posted By: 3dtestify Re: Springfield sporter - 01/08/21
I have a 1903 Springfield sporter in .280 made by the late Iver Henriksen of Missoula, Montana. Just love that rifle!
Posted By: 445guy Re: Springfield sporter - 01/14/21
I think we need to get the address of the weapon,s shop looks like we might have a need coming up,,.remember who wrote that story ,,been 30 yrs since i read it
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Springfield sporter - 01/18/21
Originally Posted by Seafire
Originally Posted by efw

Nice , very nice...

even if I am not a fan of that stock's wood... is that Maple?

My favorite two actions are the 1917 Enfield and the Springfield....

Wonder why you never see them that have been rechambered back to the original 1903 Springfield Cartridge....

I've got an action made by Rock Island in 1921... it came as a complete gun, but a rotting Sporter Stock and a rusted inside and out barrel..
which I took off and scrapped... paid $100 for it, due to the shape of the package.... however, the action alone was worth much more..

Have been thinking either the new barrel in the 03 Springfield Cartridge... ( just necked up a 270 case)..
or the other option... a 220 Swift, with a 1 in 7 or 8 twist....the action has already been drilled and tapped for scope mounts...

That sure is a nice 1903. I've seen a lot of them like that in my lifetime. I always pass them up and grab the m1917's, just my preference. Also because most springfield sporters have total right handed stocks, generally with a roll over cheek piece that would hurt a left handed shooter. I know where a very nice 1903 sporter is that I would have bought a 100 times, had it had a more useable stock on it. It is chambered in 308 Norma mag, which was one of the reasons I kept eyeballing it, plus it's a beautiful rifle.. Generally these sporterized military rifles are inexpensive too. Great rifles that can be had for less than $400.00 at times. I'd take one of these way before a cheap azzed plastic "budget" rifle for the same price.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Springfield sporter - 01/18/21
Anybody contemplating a custom Springfield sporter has a barrel choice available to them that is inexpensive and very very accurate - Criterion barrels. Available from the CMP, they are made by a division of Krieger (button rifled as opposed to a Krieger cut-rifled barrel). I have a couple installed on rifles and am here to tell you they are as accurate, and sometimes more accurate, than the vaunted Springfield Armory star gauged barrels I have on a couple rifles too. Downside for some customizers: they only come in .30-06, but for me that's certainly no handicap. They come with witness marks that function perfectly with the witness marks on Springfield receivers, and once drawn up tight to the mark requires only a touch with a chamber reamer to achieve perfect headspace. They come short-chambered for that very purpose.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Springfield sporter - 01/19/21
BSA I am righthanded and have sporter stock for an 03 that has a monte carlo and a cheek piece on the right side for a left handed shooter. Fairly straight grained walnut with a herters ventilated recoil pad , black plastic white lined pistol grip cap, and black plastic forend tip with white line spacer cut at 45 degree angle it has sling swivels installed and has been epoxy/ glass bedded for an 03 or 03a3 with 03 bottom metal. Drop in ,tighten up guard screws and go to shooting type deal. Wouldn't take a genius with a rasp to get rid of the cheekpiece either. $60 + shipping. Mb send me a pm to discuss
© 24hourcampfire