Home
Just wondered if anybody on here has loaded any 1 1/4 oz. loads? There used to be loads like this available but, all you see now is 1 1/8 oz. and under.
There are a few loads in the Lyman 5th Manual, and the BP 16 ga Manual. I loaded 2 rounds in Federal cases based on the Lyman data with 1 1/4 oz of NP BB but had to roll crimp them to get all the shot in. I stick with 7/8, 1oz, and 1 1/8. In my 16's. In the 16ga Manual the writer says if you need more shot use a bigger gun and that stuck with me. Hodgden may have some loads if you contact them, and its free. Good luck
Thanks, I have heard that 1 1/4 oz. is a little hard to get in the case. Like you said, it fills up the case pretty good. The reason I was asking, is I've been thinking about trying it for this Spring turkey season.
Well that's about the only use for them. Why don't you snag a box of those Fiocchi golden pheasant 1 1/8 oz. Loads with nickel plated 5's....mb
Elmer pushed for this load for his 16 ga. Ithaca. I think Remington loaded him a case but used #4 shot. Then Federal came through and loaded a case of papers and # 6 shot. He was pleased as punch. Said that was his upland load from here on out. This was in the early 60's. Have the info. somewhere, I think it was Guns magazine. A couple of my uncles used the Remington load for their upland hunts. All long gone.
Originally Posted by roverboy
Just wondered if anybody on here has loaded any 1 1/4 oz. loads? There used to be loads like this available but, all you see now is 1 1/8 oz. and under.

And what advantages do you think will be gained. In addition to increased recoil? 🧐

Let’s take size “6” shot. Adding an 1/8 oz of sixes means you’ve added 28 BB’s to the already 253 in one ounce. So you added around 1/10 of the payload to it. What will it get you? Two things for sure: somewhat lower velocity to keep pressure the same. Maybe more discernible recoil and perhaps more pellet deformation. Certainly not much more pattern density. I know you will not tell a difference on birds in the field. You’d have to add a 1/4 oz to add significant payload for significant pattern density which means needing a 3” 16.

The same thinking brought us the 3” 20 with its famously long shot string, the 3.5” 12, and now a 3” 28 for a non-toxic load. These do have some utility in purely niche applications — Turkey and Waterfowl, but, arguably, with the exception of the 3” 20, they are not applicable to the uplands. And I expect the cost of the non-toxic 28 to be enough to keep it out also.

Though there has been a rise in the 16’s popularity, I doubt we are going to see a 3” 16 any time soon and that’s ok with me. It’s not going to happen.
George, measure the chambers on that 16 you just picked up - it may very well be 3" chambered if it is anything like the two I currently own or the one I used to own. They ranged from a 1987 Upland Special to a 2012 Lightning Feather so I would not be surprised if yours fit in this too. I'm not saying this is a "good" thing but I could see it being of some advantage for using steel shot in one of these guns.

To the OP,

I've loaded 1 1/4 oz of shot into 16 ga hulls at various times. It can be a trick as it is a tight fit. My original load used Winchester 571 or Hodgdon HS-7 powder (same thing, different labels) using Remington SP-16 wads in Federal hulls. The powder used little space so the shot and wad was able to fit in with only light compression. After 571/HS-7 was discontinued, I tried a recipe using Blue Dot which is a bit bulkier. The amount of compression needed with the SP-16 wad was much greater and there were occasional crimps that would open in the box.

Today, Hodgdon Long Shot works as well as 571/HS-7 as LS is a pretty dense powder. One would still need to use a hull with a large internal volume such as Federal, Fiocchi, or Cheddite and it looks like the SP-16 would be the only one piece wad available, if one can find them.
I have a full flat of active #6's 1-1/4oz I forgot I had until we made a move. Then it was like Christmas going thru all the stuff I had stored away.
I'm not sure 1-1/4 would be much of a benefit. I too, have seen the data for the loads but after some field experience I think such a load would just cause premature wear to my old guns rather than provide much more performance. I shoot a mix of factory and reloads and found that the hype of 1-1/8 high brass was indeed just hype. I now comfortably shoot 1 oz loads with just as deadly effectiveness (on pheasants). The only turkey I've ever shot was with number 4 1-1/8 high brass, this was before my revelation. If you decide to go this route definitely pattern a few different loads to find what you like best!
Originally Posted by Billewe
I have a full flat of active #6's 1-1/4oz I forgot I had until we made a move. Then it was like Christmas going thru all the stuff I had stored away.

Yeah, I remember Active for their 3”, red-hulled12 with a 2oz payload. It dropped the velocity so that with the right light, you’d see the shot cup flying out.

Generally, in any factory load, an increase in payload comes with a commensurate decrease in velocity and vice-versa.

If anything like the 12 gauge stuff we tried it's no wonder they went out of business.

Schittiest patterning "turkey" loads we ever patterned.
Thanks guys I appreciate the advice. 1 1/8 oz. might be fine.
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

Yeah, I remember Active for their 3”, red-hulled12 with a 2oz payload. It dropped the velocity so that with the right light, you’d see the shot cup flying out.

Generally, in any factory load, an increase in payload comes with a commensurate decrease in velocity and vice-versa.

A lot of 3" turkey loads I saw around the early 2,000's had 2 oz. loads. Slow but, a lot of hunters I know killed lots of birds with them. My first bird was with Activ 3" #4 2 oz. load. I killed the bird at 42 yards. They kicked so hard you almost forgot who you were.
Originally Posted by roverboy
Thanks guys I appreciate the advice. 1 1/8 oz. might be fine.

They will kill a gobbler as far as he needs killed.

Going to use my 16 this spring. Probably just high brass 1 1/8 Oz #6 shot. Modified choke patterns pretty good to 30sh.
Main reason I have the 1-1/4 oz flat of Actives is I never had a use for them. 1oz of 6,s always seem to work best for me.. lead that is. I don't use that so called non toxic crap. Never have.
© 24hourcampfire