Home
So, would a 16-gauge gun on a 12-gauge frame get one into the "16 Gauge Society"?

I am thinking of taking the 16-gauge plunge.

And to think I recently got out of 28 gauge to consolidate down to 20 and 12-gauge.... good grief. I guess you never get it out of your system,

Any suggestions on best source for 16-gauge shells; you know just in case I decide to join the society.

StarchedCover
First, welcome. I use 16 gauges for turkey, skeet, clays, dove, quail, pheasant, squirrel, rabbit, and duck. Arguably you can do trap, geese and deer, but I have to leave something for the rifle and 12 gauge to do.

If you reload Graf & Sons, Precision Reloaders, Recobs, and Ballistic Products are good sources for wads you might need.

As far as factory loads, Cabela's Herters brand was a nice 1 oz load, but they stopped making it in the last 2 years. If you watched close, you could catch those on sale, delivered for $50.00 a case. Now, I keep my eye on deals a Dunham's (a sporting goods store), Scheels (another more up north), Rogers Sporting Goods (sometimes has deals online), or Prairie Wind Decoys (online sales).

I also found local gun shows can be a nice source. I am usually the only one buying 16 gauge so I use that leverage to lower prices for older mix ammo they have for sale. I can usually get some 1 oz #6 for around $5/6 a box there.

16 ga is all I shoot, browning citori for trap
I have three 16 ga, two citori and one new A5. I use them a lot but not exclusive to other gauges. I bought several cases of the Herters shells (several years ago) mentioned above. And I have a MEC Sizemaster. That takes care of me on ammo, but I see federal and Remington fairly often at LGS and Fleet Farm in Mn. If you see some and it’s the right load that you’re looking for, buy a lot of it.
I shot trap with my new 16 last year and scored better with it than I did with the 12. About the only thing I use my 12 for now is waterfowl. I was lucky in that it seemed like there was 16 ammo everywhere I went for awhile after I bought it. Now, not so much, so I'm trying to scrape more materials together to load all my own.
Originally Posted by StarchedCover
So, would a 16-gauge gun on a 12-gauge frame get one into the "16 Gauge Society"?

I am thinking of taking the 16-gauge plunge.

And to think I recently got out of 28 gauge to consolidate down to 20 and 12-gauge.... good grief. I guess you never get it out of your system,

Any suggestions on best source for 16-gauge shells; you know just in case I decide to join the society.

StarchedCover

Try to get your 16 on its proper frame and weight, or at least that’s my opinion for hunting guns. I have two: a Feather Superlight Citori, and a Dickinson Plantation. Used them almost exclusively last fall with a 20 thrown in once and a while.

As to shot shells, I have plenty as I stocked up pre-Covid and the first couple of months of the “flu”. But, I’m not sure we haven’t entered a kind of new normal, with intermittent and prolonged shortages, especially if the “red wave” in November doesn’t happen.

But, don’t let that deter you.
Well, I joined the 16-gauge club after a bit of hesitation.

I did get the Rizzini BR110 Light Lux and I must confess that I am very pleased with it; it's the nicest shotgun I own.

And to stay with the 16-gauge theme I found a Tristar Viper G2 with decent wood just recently; nothing like going overboard with something.

I have been able to source 10 flats of Rio 16-gauge shells online for a decent price and I have some Nobel Sport on the way.

Now if we can get some decent weather, I'll get them out and break them in.

StarchedCover
© 24hourcampfire