Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
So, would a 16-gauge gun on a 12-gauge frame get one into the "16 Gauge Society"?

I am thinking of taking the 16-gauge plunge.

And to think I recently got out of 28 gauge to consolidate down to 20 and 12-gauge.... good grief. I guess you never get it out of your system,

Any suggestions on best source for 16-gauge shells; you know just in case I decide to join the society.

StarchedCover

Last edited by StarchedCover; 03/03/22.

Semper Fi
GB1

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
First, welcome. I use 16 gauges for turkey, skeet, clays, dove, quail, pheasant, squirrel, rabbit, and duck. Arguably you can do trap, geese and deer, but I have to leave something for the rifle and 12 gauge to do.

If you reload Graf & Sons, Precision Reloaders, Recobs, and Ballistic Products are good sources for wads you might need.

As far as factory loads, Cabela's Herters brand was a nice 1 oz load, but they stopped making it in the last 2 years. If you watched close, you could catch those on sale, delivered for $50.00 a case. Now, I keep my eye on deals a Dunham's (a sporting goods store), Scheels (another more up north), Rogers Sporting Goods (sometimes has deals online), or Prairie Wind Decoys (online sales).

I also found local gun shows can be a nice source. I am usually the only one buying 16 gauge so I use that leverage to lower prices for older mix ammo they have for sale. I can usually get some 1 oz #6 for around $5/6 a box there.

Last edited by Charlie16ga; 03/03/22. Reason: added Recobs
K
K
16 ga is all I shoot, browning citori for trap

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have three 16 ga, two citori and one new A5. I use them a lot but not exclusive to other gauges. I bought several cases of the Herters shells (several years ago) mentioned above. And I have a MEC Sizemaster. That takes care of me on ammo, but I see federal and Remington fairly often at LGS and Fleet Farm in Mn. If you see some and it’s the right load that you’re looking for, buy a lot of it.

NRA Patron
N
N
I shot trap with my new 16 last year and scored better with it than I did with the 12. About the only thing I use my 12 for now is waterfowl. I was lucky in that it seemed like there was 16 ammo everywhere I went for awhile after I bought it. Now, not so much, so I'm trying to scrape more materials together to load all my own.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by StarchedCover
So, would a 16-gauge gun on a 12-gauge frame get one into the "16 Gauge Society"?

I am thinking of taking the 16-gauge plunge.

And to think I recently got out of 28 gauge to consolidate down to 20 and 12-gauge.... good grief. I guess you never get it out of your system,

Any suggestions on best source for 16-gauge shells; you know just in case I decide to join the society.

StarchedCover

Try to get your 16 on its proper frame and weight, or at least that’s my opinion for hunting guns. I have two: a Feather Superlight Citori, and a Dickinson Plantation. Used them almost exclusively last fall with a 20 thrown in once and a while.

As to shot shells, I have plenty as I stocked up pre-Covid and the first couple of months of the “flu”. But, I’m not sure we haven’t entered a kind of new normal, with intermittent and prolonged shortages, especially if the “red wave” in November doesn’t happen.

But, don’t let that deter you.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Well, I joined the 16-gauge club after a bit of hesitation.

I did get the Rizzini BR110 Light Lux and I must confess that I am very pleased with it; it's the nicest shotgun I own.

And to stay with the 16-gauge theme I found a Tristar Viper G2 with decent wood just recently; nothing like going overboard with something.

I have been able to source 10 flats of Rio 16-gauge shells online for a decent price and I have some Nobel Sport on the way.

Now if we can get some decent weather, I'll get them out and break them in.

StarchedCover

Semper Fi

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

214 members (2500HD, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 2UP, 17 invisible), 1,659 guests, and 1,006 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,800
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.