Home
Posted By: jmp300wsm 45 ACP primer size - 03/23/22
I understand 45 ACP is made with both primer sizes? Anyone know which brands are which size?
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: 45 ACP primer size - 03/23/22
Again, look for the non toxic/NT on the box. As far as I know only small primers are used.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: 45 ACP primer size - 03/23/22
Originally Posted by jmp300wsm
I understand 45 ACP is made with both primer sizes? Anyone know which brands are which size?

Not sure.......if each brand is standardized L or S

But it's sure a PIA when you buy 1X brass
Posted By: Sam_H Re: 45 ACP primer size - 03/24/22
Some poduct lines from: Fiocchi/GFL, Speer, Remington, CCI (brass and aluminum), Federal, S&B, Winchester........one's I'm aware of. All the non-tox stuff.

BTW, my 1050 hates them. Almost as much as me. Time was I never sorted .45 ACP brass. Those days are over.
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: 45 ACP primer size - 03/26/22
I just finished cleaning up some and the small primered ones i found were from Federal.

When on a roll it sucks when one sneaks in the process.
Posted By: buffybr Re: 45 ACP primer size - 03/26/22
Originally Posted by plainsman456
I just finished cleaning up some and the small primered ones i found were from Federal.

When on a roll it sucks when one sneaks in the process.

^^^^ This ^^^^

Whoever started the use of small primers in .45 acp cases should be tarred and feathered and run out of town!!!

Especially when reloading with a progresssive press, the occasional small primer disrupts the whole process and is a royal PITA!!

When I do encounter a small primer .45 acp case, I crimp the case mouth with pliers and throw that case in the brass recycle bucket.
Posted By: OldmanoftheSea Re: 45 ACP primer size - 03/26/22
Originally Posted by jmp300wsm

Look here:
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...resizing-separate-questions#Post17095906
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: 45 ACP primer size - 03/29/22
Most of the Blazer brass 45 ACP pistol brass is primed with CCI small pistol primers. Other than that, most every other manufacture uses large pistol primers. I haven't found it makes a difference in how it performs, just don't mix them up when you are trying to prime them. Just keep them segregated by primer size and you'll be just fine.
Posted By: Yaddio Re: 45 ACP primer size - 06/22/22
I found the small pistol primers shoot about 70 fps slower with equal powder loaded.
Posted By: arkypete Re: 45 ACP primer size - 06/23/22
I've picked up bucket loads of 45 acp brass at the indoor and out door ranges that I belong to. I decap all before I tumble clean and throw all small primer cases in the recycling pail.
Posted By: mud_bogger Re: 45 ACP primer size - 06/23/22
Blazer/cci and some federal run the small primer. And That's normally what I pick up in the rock pits around here. I have not loaded a large primer 45 case in several years
Posted By: Jgraham Re: 45 ACP primer size - 09/04/22
Maybe a little off subject but don't be surprised when you run into 44mag and 10mm with small primer pockets.
Also seen them in 308 and 6.5 creed.
I am sure that there are others.
Posted By: FWP Re: 45 ACP primer size - 09/15/22
Originally Posted by Jgraham
Maybe a little off subject but don't be surprised when you run into 44mag and 10mm with small primer pockets.

A friend grabs range pickup 10MM for me. I was tossing them in my 10MM container without being aware some could be SP.

Yesterday I was getting ready to reload and noticed the SP primers. I had to go through a bunch and separate them.
Posted By: arkypete Re: 45 ACP primer size - 10/02/22
I've scrounged lots of 45 acp brass off the ground and off the floor. To make my life simpler all small primer brass goes to the recycling bucket.
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: 45 ACP primer size - 10/24/22
Vista outdoors, Federal, cci, and now rem started making the spp brass a few years back. The still do large too just to keep it interesting. I'm not a fan of having to sort now. They're also doing it with 10mm. The only upside is the spp heads and webs are likely stronger.

Bb
Posted By: Henryseale Re: 45 ACP primer size - 10/25/22
I pick up a good bit of .45 ACP range brass. So far, all with small primers have been some Blazer and some Federal. They go in the trash.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: 45 ACP primer size - 10/25/22
I don’t use a progressive press so I just sort them and reprime with the appropriate size primer. They all shoot the same…group size and POI, etc.
Posted By: mud_bogger Re: 45 ACP primer size - 10/25/22
Originally Posted by Jgraham

Would be very interested in small primer 44 mag cases. Any idea on the manufacturer of that brass?
Posted By: ldholton Re: 45 ACP primer size - 10/25/22
Originally Posted by Yaddio
I found the small pistol primers shoot about 70 fps slower with equal powder loaded.
What small primers have you found this with?
Posted By: Yaddio Re: 45 ACP primer size - 06/17/23
Originally Posted by ldholton
Originally Posted by Yaddio
What small primers have you found this with?

Idholton, just saw this....

With the Large Primers I was using WLP. Small primers CCI 550.

Both powders was with Win231, 230 grain Berry's RN. 5.2 grains.
Posted By: jeeper Re: 45 ACP primer size - 06/17/23
I did some testing with the small rifle primers vs large pistol in the 45 acp and got larger groups with small rifle primers.
Posted By: Viper225 Re: 45 ACP primer size - 07/04/23
I have not came across any small primer 45acp in quite a while. When I did it was normally WinClean.
I had a bag sorted out a few years ago. I gave it to someone who wanted the small primer brass. I have been cleaning my loading room up. I have three 5 gallon buckets of 45acp brass. I am sure I could locate a few small primer rounds in sorting them out.

Bob R
© 24hourcampfire