Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
So for those of you who have wildcatted or made cases for hard to find cartridges.. What do you use to cut down cases?
A small tubing cutter? Followed by a neck expander to undo the "roll" that a tubing cutter puts on thin wal tubing?

Primers..
Has anyone compiled a manufacturer list as to who is using LPP and who uses SPP in 45acp?

I see that speer has SPP in some offerings..

Thanks

Added:
I was just reading one of the loading resources stickied (Review of Ruger Blackhawk) that said Colt and S&W 1917 cylinders were originally milled to accept both 45 auto rim (ACP?) and 45 LC.. Was tis common? The articlelamented the fact that Ruger had not done so...

Last edited by OldmanoftheSea; 03/12/22.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I ended up with 100 414 mag cases, I load for the 41 mag. The 414 cases are about 1/8”, maybe more, longer than the 41 mag. I put my Lee cutter in an electric drill & shortened them all. Yes it took a little time, much better than any hand & finger twisting.

Regarding 45 acp large & small primer pockets, I’d just separate the cases & put the appropriate primers in each. If buying used brass, it’s worth a question to ask what primers they take.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Harbor Freight offers/offered a tiny cutoff saw that's just what the doctor ordered for the task of cutting off brass cases.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Primers.

They all make small pistol primer brass for 45acp. Lead free is the reason. Originally only made in small rifle and pistol whether or not large is next, don’t know. But the EU mandated non toxic primers in 2015.

Swifty
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Primers.

They all make small pistol primer brass for 45acp. Lead free is the reason. Originally only made in small rifle and pistol whether or not large is next, don’t know. But the EU mandated non toxic primers in 2015.

Thanks, actually I was thinking if certain labels i.e. packaging and brand names were known to be SPP... It just means one less primer type to search for these days... If buying new cartridges with the intention of reloading..

Also added a third question up top..

Last edited by OldmanoftheSea; 03/12/22.

-OMotS

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I hate the .45 acp small primer cases. It means one more step in the reloading process to sort them out. All .45 acp small primer cases that I pick up, I crimp the mouth with pliers and throw the smashed cases in my recycle brass bucket.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
Primers.

Thanks, actually I was thinking if certain labels i.e. packaging and brand names were known to be SPP... It just means one less primer type to search for these days... If buying new cartridges with the intention of reloading..

Also added a third question up top..

Moon clips adapted the 45 ACP which the exact cartridge without the rim. So if I had a revolver that was 45 auto rim I could shoot 45 ACP with moon clips. 45 colt conversion don’t really know and whether it was prevalent can’t help.

Swifty
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Since the article was talking about the New Service Revolver then tge clips must work with a 45 LC as well. Assuming the cylinder was milled to provide clearance for the clips... Correct?

-OMotS

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
That article sounds confused. Got a link to it?

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I do not claim to be an expert on this by any means, but 50+ ago when I was a teenager, a friend of my father's had a Colt M-1917 revolver. He let me shoot it once and used a moon clip with .45 ACP loaded in it. I distinctly recall him saying that he could shoot either .45 ACP or .45 Colt cartridges in it. If the cylinder is long enough, I suppose it is true.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

From Waders collection..
http://buffalobore.net/HandloaderDecJan2012.pdf
Originally Posted by Henryseale
I do not claim to be an expert on this by any means, but 50+ ago when I was a teenager, a friend of my father's had a Colt M-1917 revolver. He let me shoot it once and used a moon clip with .45 ACP loaded in it. I distinctly recall him saying that he could shoot either .45 ACP or .45 Colt cartridges in it. If the cylinder is long enough, I suppose it is true.

It makes sense. The clips just keep the cartridges from dropping into the cylinders if they fail to headspace. Holding them in place until they rotate into position against the breech.

-OMotS

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

-OMotS

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Primers.

Small primers question:

What I have learned:
(By headstamp)

Blazer (Brass)
CCI
Federal
S&B
Speer
Win (NT)
Winchester

-OMotS

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Harbor Freight offers/offered a tiny cutoff saw that's just what the doctor ordered for the task of cutting off brass cases.

This for the bulk, then finish with your case trimmer. They also sell replacement blades.
Ours in NC still sell them as of yesterday.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Have you dropped a .45 Cowboy into the cylinder to see if it fits?

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shootem

Yup, it does. (You are referring to the third question, i believe. I have not tried 45AR as i do not have any.

-OMotS

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by shootem

Yup, it does. (You are referring to the third question, i believe. I have not tried 45AR as i do not have any.

I’d be sorely tempted to shoot one. Brian Pearce did one of his extensive load reviews for +P .45 AR a while back. In the body of the article I’m pretty sure he mentioned even the 1917 was suitable for the pressures he quoted. Stands to reason those same pressures using a .45 Colt or Long Colt, or whatever the right term is, case would be safe. And you don’t have to cut them down. Pretty sure I have the article in a folder on the bench.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I did try acp too but the cylinder either was not milled for neck headspacing or was one of the ones that was "miss" on getting it right, or the rounds I used were crimped too much to catch the headspace rim..

-OMotS

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I did try acp too but the cylinder either was not milled for neck headspacing or was one of the ones that was "miss" on getting it right, or the rounds I used were crimped too much to catch the headspace rim..

There isn’t a neck headspacing with 45 ACP in a revolver cut for a rimmed cartridge. Moon clips.

Swifty
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

There isn’t a neck headspacing with 45 ACP in a revolver cut for a rimmed cartridge. Moon clips.

It seemed like the above referenced article indicated that some 1917s were...hence "having to pick at the empty cases with a fingernail, or point the gun upward and let the fall to the ground"

-OMotS

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

268 members (14idaho, 16penny, 16gage, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 42 invisible), 2,083 guests, and 1,175 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,992
Posts18,481,109
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.