My Loaner rifles for the last 20 plus years have been a 30/06 and a 375HH

The 30/06 has been responsible for at least 1000 animals. I've used several different loads all of which worked with perfect results when the bullets were placed properly. The Hornady 165 interbond, the 165grain Swift A frame, and the Nosler Partition have all been excellent. Especially in the 165 grain weight.

However the bullet used for the last decade or so and the one that nothing can compare to for overall performance, and even recovery of less then perfect shots has been the 165 grain TSX. ( TTSX is equal if you feel better about the plastic tip)

Develop a load that will leave the barrel at 2900fps and you will harvest any plains game animal that exists without a problem. I've shot a giraffe with this combo. My clients use this on plenty of eland, and sable. It's our opinion, a collective opinion of a dozen or more PH's, trackers, and outfitters in this business that .308 diameter is the base line for an expected blood trail. Smaller then this diameter with only an entry hole have been the most frequent complicated tracking jobs, and the most often coincidentally involved with lost game. ( if you believe in coincidence?)

.308 diameter is not the answer to this situation, but rather the starting point of a reasonable expectation of blood tracking. .338/ 8mm and above is the answer to blood tracking success. I think you will find that most Outfitters providing a loaner rifle use the .308 diameter. Some I know offer a 7mm but that is usually on hand for those not very experienced with rifles. Often a woman or a young boy will opt for this choice.

It's not difficult to get a TSX at 165 grains to 2950 plus or minus fps. This bullet will retain all it's 165 grains when recovered. Compare this the original cup and core 180 grain bullet from a 300 win mag which has a 3050fps velocity.

That 300 mag was the most lethal and one of the more commonly used cartridges in use for plains game when introduced. The success was amazing on all species. The 30/06 with the 165TSX loaded to 2900 is a far more lethal cartridge then the 180 grain cup and core at 3050fps. The weight retention of the TSX trumps the 100fps advantage of the 300 win mag. All this with a definite or maybe I should say significant reduction in recoil. Heck I have had well in excess of a dozen ladies and at least that many young teen boys use this 30/06 with flawless success. My 100 pound 12 year old was shooting it from the bench with this load. He would have been done after the first shot with the 300 mag.

Hope this insight helps you.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)