Originally Posted by CCCC
Originally Posted by 4ager

Baseball, yes, to a degree as the most difficult feat in professional sports is consistently hitting a professionally pitched baseball. Outside of that, it's a rather pedestrian set of physical skills in comparison at least on the individual basis (and I have a great appreciation for baseball and baseball players).
I certainly agree with your position about the most difficult feat in professional sports. As an example, Michael Jordan, a great athlete and at least average in the outfield, looked like a low grade bozo at the plate when he was trying to "make it" with a pro team in AZ.

However, among the best baseball players, I see their other skills are anything but pedestrian. The long-time standard for a good player - "run, field, throw, hit for average and for power" - means:
excellent speed on the base path and at your position - a very quick start and ability to cover ground fast and under control;
to field the ball quickly, control it immediately, and do the correct thing with it NOW (e.g.: try shortstop like the good ones);
throw the ball far, with a flat trajectory and hit your target accurately (especially outfield, catcher, third base and shortstop);
and the outstanding hitting speaks for itself.
Some baseball games can seem slow and boring, but excellent individual plays are anything but pedestrian to me because very few people can meet that noted standard.

Oh, I agree that a pro athlete is not "pedestrian" compared to the standard, garden variety fan.

That said, when the totality of the skill sets are taken into consideration, a baseball player's in comparison to a football player or basketball player or hockey player, or even a soccer player, is "pedestrian". That's no insult, because only against other pros in other sports does it come into play.

You're right that those skills are there, but look at a basketball player; similar running and explosiveness, far more endurance required, greater jumping ability, similar (though not necessarily for range, though for accuracy and ability to hit targets while moving) hand-eye coordination. Football the same, with much more power and the ability to take an impact added. Hockey is just nuts; I can't even stand on skates and those bastards do what they do? Hand-eye coordination to control and/or block/catch a puck at well over 100 mph? Soccer player; endurance, quick burst capability, FOOT-eye coordination, including distance and accuracy, the ability to use the knees and head on the ball with touch and accuracy.

"Pedestrian" isn't the right term; I know that. It was the one that came to mind. Across the board, the level of skill of any professional athlete in those sports, and many others, is ridiculous. To malign them, as some have, is silly.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.