I don't recall most Northerners having much pride in their particular State, except when they hold it up to be so much better than Texas [insert any Southern state here].

The reason became clear to me a few years ago during a conversation in my office with a friend from Spain and a Vendor from Connecticut.

Becoming a "Citizen of the World" is the goal of every Liberal. In order to become that, they think pride of origin must be destroyed.

The Vendor was praising my friend, Vicente for being "A GOOD citizen of the world".

I told him Vicente had to be a good citizen of Valencia, Spain, before he could be a "Good citizen of the world".

The Vendor disagreed. Provincial pride was an obstacle to be overcome.

The Confederate Flag represents everything the Liberals hate, and it has NOTHING to do with slavery or the Civil War.

It's a reminder that we will NEVER think like them. [/quote]

Curdog4570, I appreciate what you are saying regarding citizens of the world. I hate that saying! To me, it means that you stand for nothing. Only a liberal pos is a "citizen of the world".

Regarding state pride, everyone shoud have some. I suspect that lots of Texans believe that Texas is the best state. Can probably make some good arguments, too. As to Michigan, I take great pride in its' natural resources. It is a beautiful state, once you get north of Saginaw. Better than Texas? No, just different. I would guess that my walleye fishing is better than yours, but you're pig hunting and ocean fishing are better than mine. I don't want to talk about football right now, but maybe some day.....lol.
For us conservative Yankees, there isn't a lot to be proud of, politically, for sure. But we do what we can do. Feels a lot like swimming against the tide. There are some bright spots, though. Wisconsin elected Walker. Michigan has a Republican State House and Senate, Governor, Attorney General, and Secretary of State. If we could only stop sending liberal scum to Washington, I could begin to take a little more pride in our politics.

ps. Hope everyone has a happy and safe 4th.