Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
Originally Posted by KC
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche

Cause KC makes me feel like a slow learner when he says that soon I'll learn that a good pair of boots is your best friend whenever you have a pack on.

Luke:

The learning comment was not aimed at you.

KC

I know but why say something like "soon you realize" if not applying to everyone. I think its hard to say that just cause something works for me doesn't' mean I will say soon you'll realize that a simple pair of non GTX shoes are the way to go for most of your backpacking needs. Just don't like to talk in such broad brush strokes when suggesting what might work for folks.

Simply state what works for me and what I do and how I use them and I let others figure out if it might apply to their uses. Rather than assume that others just haven't done it enough to know what they like.

That's fine for you because you obviously have enough experience that you have tried various methods and you have realized what works best for you. But I'm not going to back off from my original statement. A good pair of leather hiking boots with Vibram soles is your best friend. I think everyone should start there and experiment beyond that. I also think that experienced backpackers like myself, have a responsibility to make conservative recommendations when those recommendations might be read by people new to the sport.

I'm going on a backpack trip starting tomorrow. I'll be back in ten days.

Have a good evening.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.