Originally Posted by JGray
30-06 definitely gets the nod for a one do it all cartridge. I am partial to my M70 FWT which is in 270 (which would certainly do whatever needs done in N.A.). I don't own a Ruger Hawkeye, but do like the stock fit better than the M70 FWT, so that might be me pick if starting from scratch.

Here's my take on the win model 70 fwt vs. the Ruger Hawkeye. Let's say were talking 30-06:

1. Capacity
a. Winchester: 5+1
b. Hawkeye: 4+1

2. Winchester seems to soak up more recoil. IE: Doesn't kick as hard. I don't know if it is due to stock design or what, but it's just what I've noticed from shooting/owning many Ruger 77's (MKII's and Hawkeyes and tangers) vs. the Winchester model 70 fwt's.

3. 3 position wing safety on the Winchester is mounted on the bolt and when in the middle position, the firing pin is locked. The ruger has a receiver mounted wing safety which slightly mimics the Winchesters, but only locks the trigger while in the middle position. It is also smaller and sharper and a little harder to manipulate when wearing gloves. The Winchester is a little safer for cycling live rounds.

4. Bolt can be disassembled in the field with the Winchester. Ruger not so much.

5. Winchester receiver is machined from solid bar stock, Ruger is cast (investment cast).

6. Winchester has an adjustable trigger, Ruger generally has a heavy pull "lawyer" trigger.

7. Accuracy is generally better with the Winchester, but both rifles benefit from a good professional glass bedding...

If starting from scratch, I'd more than likely be looking for an older classic CRF or pre 64 model 70 vs. the Ruger of any vintage (Tanger, MKII, or Hawkeye)... Of course YMMV..

One rifle that damn near kicked every other rifle out of my safe was my old 30-06 fwt. It fell within the OP's price requirement at $800.00. Not saying I'd sell it for that price, just what I paid for it:

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA