For the unlikely event that I could only have one rifle and yet could somehow could still hunt all of NA with it, I'd pick a Model 70 in .300 Win.

Just to prove that I'm capable of flip flopping; if someone wanted a .338 Win mag, they'd get no argument from me, and likewise I'm awful partial to my STWs that aren't available anymore. For one totally out of left field it's been hard not to notice that my M70 Alaskan (walnut) only weighs 8.2 pounds scoped and with a selected bullet matches my .300s' trajectory out to 500 yards, while still being able to lob heavy bullets at anything if you think you need them. With that one there's no need to stop at NA, might as well take a crack at the world. Its a little hard to picture someone needing to have one rifle being enthusiast about expensive ammo though.

I'm taking the .375 Alaskan on a brown bear hunt in a few weeks that can easily include moose, goat, back bear and blacktail. That's a pretty good cross section of big/dangerous and smaller game and long and short distance, and it isn't really giving up much in any category. Even portability.

Ironically you can say the same about the Kimber .338 Win Mag that's comeing for a spare.

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.