Originally Posted by Gunplummer
So you are saying at "A', they reset the count to zero?

Yep, it was called the Gun Control Act of 1968. In 1969 manufacturers had to provide a unique serial number for each firearm they produced. They could no longer put serial number 1,000,000 on a 99 and also 1,000,000 on a 110 without committing a federal crime.

This is very, very old news to Savage collectors.

I am pretty sure the .308 and maybe the .243 was being chambered before 1960.

Yes, again in information that we've had for a long, long time the 308/243 manufacturing started in 1955. With the square threads.

I am going with the change in threads came about when they introduced the longer cartridges.

You would be wrong.

One million was probably a nice round number someone just picked out. I have never seen any reference to the thread changeover period in a book.
There is just not enough information to know. Really, until more .308 based cases became available, how many people wanted a barrel replaced on a solid frame 99 Savage?

People on this forum own or have owned thousands and thousands of 99's. I myself have two 1950's 99F barrels in 243 and 308 with Chicopee Falls addresses and both with the square threads.

You can keep fighting the fact that there are people here who have been gathering information on Savage 99's for 15, 20, 30, 40+ years and might know a bit more than you even if they didn't write a book... or you can trust us. Feel free to doubt, it's how we learn. But it takes more than a sample of 1 to prove a point.

Oh... and the Savage historian Mr. Callahan was a Savage employee who assembled 99's. So don't think there's nobody with any knowledge left.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com