Been a few threads lately that make me assess levels of "Collector".

#1- Brutally serious collectors whom only want absolutely as close to perfect specimens in the safe, no tolerance for anything less.

#2- One rung down from #1 collector, who will tolerate some cosmetic blemishes, but in original condition, no noticeable field use.

#3- Those who want original condition, but will live with cosmetic blemishes from being used for their design intent, rarity factored in, and will still hunt them with care as that is their intended purpose.

#4- Those who like original grey rats with field use and character, and can tolerate a few minor alterations and will regularly shoot them and hunt em.

I understand the mentality of the #1 collector, am am glad there are a few of them around to insure the future of totally unmolested Savages remain so future generations can see them in all their glory.

The #2 collector is barely distinguishable from #1, but still won't take them out hunting even if the weather and terrain conditions aren't conducive to a flawless outing.

#3 is what I consider myself. EVERYTHING in my safe WILL go out and fill my freezer. I shoot all mine in rotation on a regular basis. I have heard, and said " If only this gun could talk". I understand the need for #1 and #2, but can't help but feel for the #1 people whom have NEVER shot their dream specimens. What the hell good is a pristine Savage 1895, 1899 or 99 that won't shoot for sheit. How do you know if you never put lead down range? Last year I took flak from co-workers for filling my freezer with my 1899-B. They said how can you take a 115 year old sweet gun out to the woods? It filled the freezer, and you know what? I looked as good when it came in as it did when it went out. I guess a #3 could be considered an "acquirrer.

#4 are folks who don't have thick wallets and still appreciate Savage levers for what they are. Dammmm good looking and dammmm fine shootin irons. Won't hesitate to refinish a sadly in need of stock, or reblue etc... to make it look like its former self.

I might be way off base, but I'll bet a pound of bologna a majority of folks on this sight relate to #3 and #4. As previously stated, #1 and #2 have their place, but economic reality's and personal convictions prevent a healthy amount of us from being #1 or #2.

Just my 2 cents. I might ruffle a few feathers, but it won't change my attitude or thoughts as to what I have put in text, but welcome difference of opinion.
Jerry

"Its easier to fool people......Than convince them that they have been fooled." Mark Twain