Originally Posted by roundoak
Originally Posted by Chainsaw
Originally Posted by roundoak
Originally Posted by eyeball
You wasted a lot of feed if you gave them enough keep them wink occupied long enough to have time to milk through two cows.

Did you make sweet or sour cream butter?

No butter made on the farm during my era. For several years we bought butter from the truck driver that picked up our canned milk.

I had a canned milk pick-up route for a couple of years and delivered butter and cheese from the route while loading the cans of milk from the cooling tanks. Like working on our farm, loading milk cans built muscle and character, and probably contributed to my bad back now!!

Hauling canned milk would have been a tough job, not only the labor part but navigating the roads winter and spring plus farm roads and barnyards. We had a Ford 8N that we could attach a 3-point platform with sides that we hauled hogs around the farm. If the farm road got to bad we would haul the cans out to the main road to meet the milk truck.

Did your milk truck have a whey tank mounted on the truck box? I don't remember how many days in the week that we took a delivery of whey. We had a livestock water tank with two exit pipes with shutoffs that directed the whey into the troughs of two seperate hog pens.

No whey tank on the truck but I did hear the "ol timers" tell me about it on many occasion. Had a snowplow and chains on one of the rear duals on each side the truck in the winter and helped out many a stuck vehicle with a tow and they followed me down the road if the county was not out. Can remember a time when 20 some vehicles followed me out to the main hwy. Could always move in the snow but steering could sometimes be tough.

Take your kids and your grand kids huntin' and shootin'.