Originally Posted by maggie
Much of the new truck talk seems centered around Ford F150 with it's aluminum, or "High strength, military grade, aluminum alloys", as they say in the ad. Also says it "resists corrosion". Aluminum has been tried before on various parts at least, corrosion seems to have been a real issue. In areas that don't have winter road salt, maybe not so much a worry, but wondering about how it will/wont hold up in other areas? Like to hear opinions/facts from those in the know. Thanks.
.........Not a corrosion expert. But regardless of frame material whether steel or aluminum, there are coatings that can be applied underneath to the frame that combat severe conditions.

The only downside that I've heard is, is that when an aluminum frame has been damaged in an accident the costs are up vs the steel frame. Secondly, most collision shops are not equipped to handle repairing aluminum frames because a completely seperate and closed off area must be used so that the aluminum material is not compromised or contaminated by any steel fragments.

Also, quite an investment by the collision shops will be needed to fix aluminum frames if they choose to. A specially equipped re-tooled for aluminum shop must be used.

All of the above per Jerry Reynolds the car pro USA guy on the AM radio that I listen to once in awhile.

I can understand why Ford now uses the aluminum frame for the F150. To lighten up the truck for better MPG. Maybe keeping the steel frame and going with an 8 spd trans and maybe re-tweeking the rear end ratio a little for lower engine RPMs might have accomplished the same MPG results while not compromising performance? Hell I don't know. Just throwing it out there.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger