I use a 5/6 weight, 9-foot graphite fly-rod with a 6 weight, forward weight fly-line and level line (either standard 6 lb or 8 lb.test fishing line) as my "leader" on which I put my hand-tied white sponge "spider" with rubber band "legs".

I tend to get too many "wind-knots" in my leaders to buy those expensive "tippet" leaders... so call me chea... er... ah... I mean "frugal". grin

I fish this set-up over the bluegill's spawning beds in farm ponds in late May which is the most productive time for "blues" in S.W. Ohio and usually catch a new "blue" with each cast. My personal "record" is 217 large (about one pound-sized) "blues" on 217 casts. That's a LOT of fishing for a single morning.

Incidentally, I caught an 8 pound large-mouth bass on the same white sponge spider set-up... and after the "fight" was over, I put the nice-sized bass back into my buddy's pond. That's a "lotta fish" when caught on a 5/6 weight fly-rod... and it was the largest fish I ever caught on my 5/6 weight fly-rod !!!

I crush the hook's barb down so I can simply lower my rod-tip and let the bluegill off if I don't want to keep 'em since I'm a "catch & release" fisherman.

Of course, with no actual "barb" on the hook, one MUST keep pressure on the line at all times as the fish "runs" in the typical bluegill "arc" several times before pooping out and coming to the canoe or boat with little left-over "resistance" to either be released or put in the "fish-box" or "keeper's net" for tonight's dinner or tomorrow's lunch.

This set-up will catch about 100 big "blues" before the fish beat the lure to death and the white sponge "spider" must be changed-out for a fresh one.

On a windy day, you can go to a 7 weight fly-line on a 5/6 weight fly-rod which will cast into the wind if need be, but the length of your cast will be shortened due to the "over-weight" fly-line.

Hope this helps you... wink

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...