Originally Posted by asphaltangel

Roy,
The water bottle technique is typically a great way to train cats to stay off the counter. Some people make the mistake of yelling or otherwise raising their voices at the cat while they are using the bottle. By doing this, they only allow the cat to associate that it is you vs. the water bottle that they need to avoid.

In other words, if you are not there, they feel safe to continue to the behavior. A better way is to use a high powered squirt bottle on the cat every time it's on the counter. Don't say anything [as difficult as it is] or otherwise draw attention to yourself. Give the cat a good dose of water in the head each time. Most cats hate water.

I assume there is nothing on the counters to attract them. If the wife is giving treats, she needs to only give them in places you want them to be. Cats love towels, papers, and other items to sit on where they feel safe. Typically, this is an area that is higher off the floor.

Make sure they have a place in the house they enjoy....by a window, on top of a cat tree, on top of an appliance or dresser. Somewhere that they have their own place. Try catnip as an incentive.

Be patient. They are great pets with fun personalities. In time, they will win your heart! PM me if you continue to have issues with this. ~Sherri

you can't make stuff like this up..

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...