Despite all of the efforts of conservation and pro-hunt groups, the inevitable is only slowed down somewhat. The fight to preserve and protect our right to hunt is an essential one, but I fear it's one we are slowly losing, at least as far as the continent of Africa is concerned. The recent knee-jerk reactions of the airlines and the Zimbabwean government won't go away.

If you ever wanted to go, and have been putting it off, my advice is to GO NOW. If you wish to hunt dangerous game, other than Cape Buff, DO IT NOW. If there is a special trophy you would like to see in your trophy room, better be making plans to hunt it soon, if you want to bring it back to the US. If you want to hunt the big cats, the urgency to do it now is all the more important.

I believe the pendulum will eventually swing back towards some semblance of sanity, as some of these countries see the effects of the loss of hunter dollars and lack of game management. By then, the opportunity to hunt Africa may be too late for those of you who have wanted to go, but have never gone.

This is not meant to be 'gloom and doom', it's just reality. It's not about someone killing a Park lion, but such incidents just fuel the fire of the anti-hunting crowd. In the meantime, we need to support the efforts of those who are fighting to protect the opportunity to hunt on the African continent.

I've been there four times, but the last time, a year ago, was our final trip. The cost of travel, trophy fees, dip and ship, freight, customs, taxidermy, etc. continues to escalate. I'm very grateful for the opportunities I have had to hunt Africa, and I sincerely hope they will be there for others for awhile.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....