LBK, there is nothing to "get". The quickest I have ever dropped a whitetail was with my 99 EG in 250-3000 and 87 grain Speer Hot Core. Didn't take a step and was down before I heard the bang. But when all my guns have good solid loads, I need something new to challenge me at the loading bench. Its purely a labor of love, not trying to reinvent the wheel. I will periodically go thru this process with all my rifles when routine overcomes me. Its a challenge that gives me more excuses to do more shooting/loading bench stuff. To me, that's what its all about.
Originally Posted by Longbeardking
Originally Posted by oldotter
I've read bout the twist variations in 250-300 99s, but never check mine till 45 minutes ago. Multiple checks show 13 1/2 twist. Gonna try some 100 grainers to see if the 1948 EG will spit em out straight. Shoots 87 Speer Hot Cores very well, but curiosity is calling.

I just do NOT get it. I have killed many deer with a 87 grain bullet that is "supposed" to be a varmint bullet. Not a single deer has required a second shot, except the ones I missed on the first shot. Still, when hit, they looked electrocuted. I have shot several deer with the 100 grain Winchester silvertip from the same rifle. Yes, they died, relatively slower, but died nonetheless. A deer will never notice 13 grains of bullet. Myself, I'll stick with 87's.

"Its easier to fool people......Than convince them that they have been fooled." Mark Twain