In 2003 or 2004, I was heading west on I-80 and saw a mountain lion chasing a whitetail buck in a cut corn field that is now the home of a Wal-Mart, near the intersection of Highway 370 and I-80 in southwest Omaha. I reported it to G&P, but the CO who I spoke with didn't believe that there were any that close to Omaha.

The cougar that was killed in Omaha earlier this year was shot by police on the southeast corner of 120th and Q Streets, within sight of the baseball field that my Son's team was practicing on three nights a week and where his Boy Scout troop meets on Mondays. That area is almost all suburban neighborhoods, with a little retail and light manufacturing thrown into the mix. Certainly not the sort of habitat that you think would attract a cougar. Maybe it was just passing through on its way to Kansas or Missouri.

I have read somewhere that an adult mountain lion may need to kill one deer per week to feed itself, but Nebraska G&P says that they mostly eat raccoon in eastern NE, which isn't a bad thing.