I have not used the SPOT phone. However, I have done a couple backpack trips with no cell service. With me in Idaho and my family in NC, being out of communication for 4-5 days wasn't an option. I rented a satellite phone and used it to call home each evening to check in when on a solo backpack trip. Also having it in case of emergency makes sense when "out there" with no cell service.

The rental was reasonable, it was in the $66 range. That included FedEx shipping both ways. Airtime is extra. Time ain't cheap, it's like a buck a minute but we didn't have long conversations, just check in to let everyone know all was well on both ends.

It was a globalstar phone, not iridium. The globalstar satellites are supposedly not as good as iridium as far as the call quality goes.
It worked well for me.

I had no issues in Idaho's Sawtooth Nat Forest up north of Ketchum. I think we dropped one call but called back and reconnected. Call quality was good. Doesn't work as well if you're down in a hole with tree cover around. You need a clear sky view.

I rented it and used it on a solo hunt in 2012. Very glad I did. In 2013 on a pack trip with Rockchuck we were in an area with where we could get cell reception. I rented it again last year on a trip with Rockchuck and we both used it then.

The place I rented from:

Satellite Phone Solutions
561-962-5541 or toll free, 888-277-0103

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com