Originally Posted by Reloder28
Bob,
How gray is your hair? You're pretty smart.

Proverbs 20:29 (NASB)

The glory of young men is their strength,
And the honor of old men is their gray hair.

loder: Thanks,I am dark brown on top and gray on the sides,and not really all that smart. smile

But I have shot a pretty fair number of animals with different 140-7mm bullets at different velocities and distances so have some idea of what they will do.

At high impact velocities the bullet will expand more dramatically which means, it will either fragment and the front will disappear,being made of alloy cores and jackets, which is a bit more brittle(the Partition does this at close range and blows the nose clear to the partition)....or if it hangs onto the mushroom,the jacket will peel back along the shank. Either way frontal area will be less resulting in the smaller exit hole. You see this very frequently with a Partition,and I have seen it at close range from a 130 Interlock which was just sheared off at the cannelure.

At distance,as velocity drains,expansion is not so dramatic, the bullet is stressed less,and hangs onto more of its expanded frontal area,but still has enough weight to maintain momentum and (sometimes) punch through.Perfect storm.

There are a million variables because no two shots are always the same but in general that's what I think caused what the poster described. My WAG anyway. eek

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.