Gentlemen,
I am at a loss. Here is my dilemma.
I am using a Redding T7 press. Redding dies and competition bullet seater and Redding competition shellholders. Imperial sizing die lubricant and graphite inside case neck lube.
Reloading for my 280 Ackley Improved
Nosler Brass. New brass is as those of us who have used Nosler brass know are ready to load. I checked the new brass on a Sinclair concentricity checker for neck runout and found that most new brass rolls under .002" although several out of a box of 50 new brass will roll .003"-.004".
I am loading 145 Barnes LRX's but have tried 140 NBT's, and 140 Berger VLD Hunter to determine if the concentricity I am seeing is bullet related. The roll out issues I am seeing do not discriminate.
All new brass primer pockets are uniformed and all necks are chamfered with a Sinclair VLD tool. Out of a new box of 50 brass loaded (40) loaded rolled less than .003". Ten of them rolled between .004" to .008".
Once fired brass all come out of the chamber barely moving the needle on the dial indicator. Melvin Forbes did a nice job cutting a chamber in this one.
Fired rounds are .318' neck OD. Loaded rounds neck OD are .3115"-.3120" OD (neck thickness varies .0005" to .001" on the brass). I have .306,.307, and a .310 Nitride bushings and am using an "S" type Redding FL sizing die. The 310 bushing is too big so since I have it I use the 307 bushing with a carbon floating expander. A .308 or a .309 bushing would probably be a tiny bit better than the .307 not working the neck quit as much but since I have the 307....
Necks are all brushed, graphite lubed inside and the drag back thru the neck is light and slick. Resized neck .3095" to .3100" giving the round .002" squeeze. Shoulders are all bumped .004". 20 loaded once fired rounds 15 will roll less than .003" and 5 will roll between .005" and .008"
The gun shoots awful good but I sort the rounds and the rounds that roll between .005 and .008 are wild cards especially the 7's and 8's. I will know more about them after the next range session as I have been shooting plates and have no chronograph readings on the high roll rounds. I am sure they will jack the extreme spreads up. No way would I hunt with them.
Any help here would be greatly appreciated. Going to hit the hay and load several in the AM later today. Hoping I can get them to all come out of the press at less than .003".

Thanks,
Dave

Last edited by RaceTire; 08/11/15.