Cast iron Dutch oven and a chuck roast. Preheat oven to 500* F. Put salt, pepper and a bit of garlic (if you like garlic) in the bottom of the Dutch oven, add the roast and season the top side of the roast as you did on the bottom of the Dutch. Put in oven for 15 to 20 minutes or more as desired, uncovered. If you like onion, cut a whole onion into thick slices (1/2" +/-) but don't separate them (like for onion rings) and toothpick them on top of the roast after the 500* treatment. Reduce oven temp to 235* and add a 1/2 cup of warm water to the Dutch (hot CI and cold water is trouble), put on the lid and return to the oven. About 1 1/2 to 2 hours before you want to eat, add carrots and celery then add potatoes about 1/2 hour later. Total time for the roast to be fall apart tender should be minimum of 4 hours and 5 hours wouldn't be a bad thing (just don't put the carrots, celery and taters in too soon). Make gravy with what is in the bottom of the Dutch and have a good meal . . . BTW - don't under season the roast, that is what makes the gravy great instead of just good.

Low and slow - the way to go wink.

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member