Originally Posted by RickF
You forgot,RinB, that we are all macho macho and bulletproof on here. grin

And that most don't shoot enough for the cumulative effects of the 300s greater recoil to matter? wink

A little of my background:

To Date I have found my recoil 'tolerance limit' ONE time.
I had and still have a 700 BDL 8mm RM. I have shot it plenty with 200 & 220 gr bullets with powder charges in the 80+ gr range. Yes, I notice that recoil but it does not punish me.

The 700 stock PLUS Rem recoil PAD do a good job FOR ME. Fit has a lot to do with 'felt' or perceived recoil.

OTOH - I HAD, I say HAD a 77 tanger 338 WM with only a butt pad<not RECOIL> pad. I shot 225gr bullets with IMR 4350, don't remember the charge but in the 70 + range.

THAT 77 not only kicked but HURT every time I shot it. I ladder tested, graph & group, found a -1" load and sighted the rifle in---BUT before deer season it MADE DUST going down the road. IT HURT. I don't have to put up with that kind of punishment.

The 8 Mag shoots MORE powder with only 5 grain less bullet weight THAN the 77 - 338, but it did NOT punish me. I still have it. I'd say the 8 R M does NOT have less recoil than the 300 Bee.

Now as to 300s -- I have 1 300 WM today but I've had 3-4 in the past. Today's is a 70 WINLITE, I shoot 180s at 3000-3100 fps. I hunted that rifle exclusively 08-09-& 10 and killed more than 1 deer each season.

MY conclusion - the stock FIT and recoil PAD have LOTS to do with felt recoil.

BTW - I've shot a 700 BDL 375 HH enuff that I can shoot & hunt it IF I needed one. (Stock&Pad)

NO anger or resentment - just real assessment.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!