Well, lads, I'm on my way. I've taken as much of the above advice as I can, packed my bags to within a gram of the maximum limit of 50 pounds (American Airlines), and I'll just have to make do without whatever I haven't got.

Hatari, thanks for the reminder on the medical stuff... somehow that's always the last thing I remember to take on a long hunting trip. I've got a big medical bag I bring to sporting events with just about everything in it, but obviously I can't bring that with me on this jaunt, so I packed up a bare minimum of stuff. I have my blow-out bag from my SWAT days, some non-sterile instruments like forceps and iris scissors for things like thorns and such. I brought a sterile suture kit with half a dozen packs of suture material (I can re-sterilize the instruments by boiling if needed), and several vials of injectable antibiotics, steroids, pain meds, etc. My local pharmacist set me up with a sschitload of Cipro, Metronidazole, cephalexin, etc. I can leave that stuff in Zim when I leave, I'm sure John will be able to use it if he has a need to.

I took my rifle to the range yesterday for one last zero check. I have two scopes ready, both in Talley QD mounts and zero'd the same: my primary, a Trijicon 1-4X illuminated triangle post reticle, and a Nikon Monarch 2-7X duplex reticle. Using the 300 gr A-Frames, I'm 3" high at 100, 3" low at 200, and dead on at 150 and 30. Irons are dead-on at 25 with both the A-Frames and solids. I feel confident about bullet placement at any range out to 200 with this rifle and load.

I've got a long layover here in Dulles, which may give me time to find a couple-three things I still could use, like dental floss and lens wipes... after this, I'll likely not be on the 'Fire for 2 weeks. See y'all on the flip side.

Last edited by DocRocket; 08/24/15.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars