Originally Posted by 700LH
Everyone, including the OP, knew the price going in. He signed the dotted line.

I didn't they drafted me. laugh

No problem here with what the USAF did at all.

It does seem excessive to lose 2nd amendment's rights for life, for doing what is now legal in several states.

Edit:
I also assume that law was not on the books when he smoked that dope.
Ex Post Facto, if so his offence should not apply.

What law are you talking about? The CHP law in NC? It's identical to most CHP laws in every other state. NC was a "no issue" concealed carry state prior to 1995; i.e., you could not get a permit to carry in the state at all.

Even if it was not on the books at the time, it does not make it an Ex Post Facto law. Such a law makes something illegal that was legal at the time, and enforcement retroactive. What the OP did (doing drugs while in the armed forces) was illegal then, and it is still illegal. The penalty is still the same in the military. The provision for carry has actually gotten LESS restrictive in NC (going from no issue to shall issue) over time, but the restriction on the level of discharge from military service that applies has not changed at all.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.