Originally Posted by teal
Originally Posted by Taco280AI
Originally Posted by huntsman22
no matter what you 'think', you've just been proved wrong......

Nope. Again, just because it worked that time still doesn't make it a good choice for 688 yard shots on elk. Has no place for it, are much better options.

How much deader would it have been if something "much" better had been used in that video?

How does a .308 hole through the heart kill better than a .243 hole? Does the critter live with a .243 hole but die with a .308?
'

Great point.

I've hunted extensively with a .243 and a .308. I have heart shot a ton of fairly heavy Wisconsin whitetails with both. The thing with the .308 is I always get an exit. With the .243 sometimes do, sometimes don't. Had one buck I heart shot with the .243 thru the heart at somewhere between 250 and 300 with 100 grain partitions. Bullet destroyed the heart, but didn't exit. This was in a hilly CRP field and the buck ran up and over the hill in knee high grass. Almost didn't find him because there was no blood.
The .308 wouldn't have "killed better" dead is dead, but a blood trail is nice to have, as heart shot animals can run a bit.

I would think the 7/08 or 6.5 with heavier bullets under the same conditions stand a better chance of exiting than a .243.

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington