Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Well, for those of us that are required (by any number of circumstances) to forego bluing the actual working surfaces of high $$$ Chro-mo barrels, I'd have to inquire as to:

A.) Why we've all been so successful at "plugging" these barrels before they ride in the salts ?

B.) Whether or not you have any CLUE as to how we do this PROPERLY,e.g. the nuts and bolts of the operation ?

GTC

Worth playing catch up here.

Right, wrong, mediocre, foolish or brilliant,....SOME folks don't want the working surfaces of their Carbon steel barrels screwed up with porous iron oxides. Thus, one honors their opinions, doesn't argue, and makes it so.

Had to dig this gear out this AM , and seal up a 45 caliber barrel that's getting browned. I've been sealing barrels with this gear and throwing it in everything but molten nuclear waste, without one hiccup or burp, or fart, for a long time. As I noted when this thread was at the top, we're not talking rocket ship parts.

Some All thread is fitted with a Chamber plug. The Auto AC O-rings are some sorta' silicone that holds up just a BIT better than common Buna N,...I use both

[Linked Image]

Here's an assortment of muzzle plugs in the larger BP calibers, .45, 40, 375. One can note that while they've had the unmerciful piss blued outta' them, the interior faces are still as machined,...bright metal ( well almost, some of the stuff's been sitting in a drawer for years.) dab of common silicone seals the face of the Nyloc against a common ROOFING WASHER, or something out of the toilet repair parts bin,.... to seal the crown.

[Linked Image]

Here's a shot of the crown, sealed. Typically the rifle will have been shot, "In the White". The meticulously cleaned bore is filled with the patron's Bullet lube of choice,.....poured in molten around the all thread. The all thread has Heat shrink spaced all along it's length, ....to keep the threads from hitting the lands. If I have no spec. for bullet lube, I just use TC 1000. If you're a lead bullet shooter,.... think about this for just a second or two, you'll deduce that you are "pre-treating" the bore. That's an item that they've been discussing forever, isn't it ?

[Linked Image]

Particularly in the case of cast bullet guns, I'd say that the concensus is that they clean easier, and foul less.

I have another drawer with .30 and 22 caliber setups, and have used them on all of my own builds, in those calibers.

There it is,....my U.S. $0.02.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain