Cleanup ... I shoot both Pyrodex and FFg. I don't change my cleaning procedure. I don't use Windex.

Get a bottle of TC #13 solvent and a tube of TC "Bore Butter". I boil a pan of water on the stove. I have 2 bottom halves of 2L soda bottles. I have the gun broken down before I start. I leave the nipple in to begin with. I start out swabbing the barrel a few strokes with a patch with just solvent, then I drop the breech end into one 2L bottle bottom and pour half the other bottle down the barrel (leave the ramrod in the barrel and hold onto that so y' don't get burned). Stroke a few times. Stop. Remove the nipple, toss it in the bottle bottom with the hot water, then put the action end back in, too. Stroke it a few more times, pour the rest of the water in so it over-tops, take a few more strokes. Pull the barrel out. Hold it with a pot-holder ... that fugger gets HOT. Tip it up, pour the water out. Immediately swab the barrel with a new dry patch with bore butter. This is somewhat akin to seasoning a frying pan ... with the barrel hot it draws the bore butter into the steel. If done quickly there's no rust. with that "setting", take another patch with bore butter and wipe down the outside of the barrel both "oiling" it and removing percussion cap fouling.

Now you can let the barrel sit. Time to clean up the nipple. Do whatever you do ... I run a needle and a Q tip into mine to scrape out the goobers. I use a little more bore butter as a thread lube, then put the nipple back in the gun. Wipe down the stock where the percussion cap splashed soot. reinstall the barrel. I'll usually run one more patch with bore butter before it cools too much, then when it is room temp, run a dry patch or two through so there's no residual stuff to wreck a powder charge.

I don't snap caps to clear the flash hole, I vent a CO2 discharger through my cleaned gun just prior to loading.

In 20+ years I've never had a misfire or hangfire on the first shot with that process. I know that's kind of a long-winded explanation but I can clean my muzzleloader faster than I can clean my centerfire.

The aversion to Pyrodex is mostly a load of hooey. People trying to be snobs. The only issue with Pyrodex is it ignites a little hotter ... I prefer magnum caps with it. Any more, I prefer 'em with FFg, too.

Figure out what works for you in your gun and do it, no apologies needed.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...