I like to use 4064 (41.5 gr.) with the 170 gr IL RN, Nice accuracy, low pressure <36K PSI and decent performance of @ 2350 FPS, dep on bbl length. You can kick it up a couple grains to get over 2500 after starting there. But unless you're after elk at 200 yards, you probably don't need it.
Have taken a lot of game with that load in my Krieghoff "trump" 8x57JRS drilling, from the everglades to Alaska.

there's a short piece I did on (classic) hunting calibers on my website.

I usually prefer the old familiar powders, but have recently gone to Varget on my 7x57 and some others, with impressive results.

The 8x57 got a bad rap for awhile due to some mausers that weren't too accurate, flooding the US market. But the opposite is actually true. It's a very efficient and inherently accurate round. I was still chambering custom rifles for it, up until I stopped doing that work. Everyone I ever made one for raved about the rifle's performance, on the range & in the field.

Looking forward to your range report on that new drilling. Be sure to include a round of sporting clays (and tell us your score smile

Originally Posted by luv2safari
Thanks, guys. wink

erich:

We'll need to plan better, so I can get an opportunity to shoot that sweet coyote killer drilling of yours.

Bray:

I need to track down some of the Hornady 170s. I used some a while back in a 98 Mauser, and they were good bullets. I have a supply of Combined Technology 180s for my 325 WSM I need to try out, also.

I think R15 would be about right for the 170s. I have a pound of R17 I might try for the 180s. Any powder tips are appreciated.

Last edited by brayhaven; 10/08/15.

Greg
"An abundance of information can exacerbate ignorance if the information is of poor quality" Tom Robbins
http://classicsportingguns.com/