Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by StoneCutter

This too. All the new trucks have to use DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid) which is basically water with urea in it that is injected into the exhaust system for the good old EPA regs. They're even more of a PITA.
It takes about 30 sec. to dump a 2.5 gal jug of DEF into the tank about every 5000 miles. Definitely not a PITA. Just another fluid to check, and the computer does that for you.

The truck will need to be warmed up substantially before the exhaust system will work because the DEF needs to be thawed out. They have coolant lines that run through the DEF tank in order to thaw and keep it from freezing solid.
I'll have to check my book, but my understanding is that the heater is electric. It works automatically.

Then if you have computer glitches or sensor issues, your really screwed.
That is the case for every vehicle now.

Plus the DPF needs to do a burn off (regen) periodically. If you're on dry leaves or grass, it could light the place on fire or melt the asphalt.
The fire stories are about 10 years old. That problem has been resolved.

The new diesels are very clean operating and probably cleaner than many gas rigs still on the road.

They drive almost like a gas truck (acceleration and performance) and can't be beat for HP and torque.

That said, my caveat above still applies.

Pretty much this.

Used to be though that you would buy a diesel to get a vehicle that would go into 200k for miles. Gassers have gotten a lot better and getting high mileage out of them isn't as much of an issue.

Unless you're towing a lot - IMO it's not worth it.

Me