Originally Posted by UNCCGrad
Winchester Fwt 70 SS Winlite (factory Mcmillan) in 30-06. I'm new to handloading but I've tried a few loads from 55-57 gr with IMR-4350 and 48-50 gr of Varget, varying seating depths. Varget seems to be the best I've tried so far with 49 gr printing 1.2". Factory Rem Core lokts went at 0.72" so I know this gun is capable. I want to load for this rifle if for no reason than convenience.

Should I be looking at swapping primers or trying a different powder. I have a good supply of these 165s so I'd prefer to stick with them. What other powders should I try? I currently load for 223, 243, 257 Bob and 30-06. I'd like to keep my powders on hand to a minimum.

Sometime the Speer BT's just will not shoot in a particular rifle. Actually, it's pretty common. I've had much better luck with flat based Speer bullets.

Try a different bullet. I'd try the 165 Nosler Ballistic tips and/or the 165gr Sierra game king HP's. I'd back them with H4350 and CCI 200 primers.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell