I'm re-thinking my tent choice..........

I've owned a Kelty Gunnison for 15 years or so and it has been a great tent for general camping not involving backpacking. As a result, I bought a Kelty Outfitter Pro 2 tent this summer for backpacking thinking I wanted durability and snow considerations. I thought an extra couple pounds wasn't a big deal - until I packed it in/on my backpack (Osprey Aether 70). The issue is both weight and packed size of the tent. I need to keep the tent out of the backpack because it takes up too much space in the backpack. I can comfortably get all my elk hunting stuff in the backpack but need to lash the tent to the outside of the pack. On the outside, it makes the whole backpack feel awkward. In summer, it hasn't been a big deal because I don't take as much stuff compared to late season packs. I can put the tent inside the pack and all the rest of my junk.

Doing some research and talking to folks on the 'Fire, several use the Big Agnes Copper Spur. I've also seen a few using Sierra Designs tents. My purpose is 2-3 day spike camp setups looking in remote areas for elk/deer. I don't plan on spike camp hunting in a bunch of snow - anything more than 6-8" and I'll do day hikes. I think a decent 3 season tent will suffice. I'm not keen on spending $4-500 for a tent and am looking at acceptable lighter weight options than my current tent. If I need to spend that much so be it but I've gotten along well with tier 2 gear for most of my life and never felt handicapped. Plus I'm cheap grin

What are some decent lightweight tent options for October elk hunting in the Rockies?

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.