I have done a few Ruger American triggers and have found them very similar to the Ruger MKII how they work. As such I have found that the sear engagement angle has the most affect on the trigger pull weight and feel. You can run it without the spring and it will only go so light. I have a jig for changing the angle and going towards neutral I can get the weight as low as one pound and still use the factory spring. Shortening the spring is not always indicated because if the pull is aborted the spring and positive angle will return the engagement to 100 percent. I recut the angle for the pressure I want, then adjust the sear engagement using a dial indicator to between .007" and .014" depending on the intended use of the rifle and the experience level of the shooter. The surface finish must be very smooth and consistent to eliminate the creep feel. This is near impossible to do freehand. I can only get it with super fine stones. A Foredom/dremel or buffer will wreck one of these in a quick second. My next investment for trigger work will be a stereo microscope with a hook up for a big screen monitor for doing these. Head band magnifiers just don't offer the resolution a guy really needs to do a first rate job on a sear.

"Hired Gun" Quickest and fastest all motor sand car on the planet.
3.008 at 104.8 300' of sand.

NRA Patron Life Member, Gunsmith, Instructor, Chief RSO