North61 - my 1895 experience ia similar to yours- loved 1892,94 22M, 1886, and still do, but avoided the 1895 UNTIL I SHOT ONE in .405! Then I bought two, one a shooter and one Deluxe as a looker. I also tried a 71 in .348 and while it is a fine rifle (as are all Winchesters), it was not right for me.

My 1886 .45-90 is still a better elephant rifle, but how often does one get to shoot an ele? My .405 with 400 grain Woodleigh bullets (or other apptopriate bullets) has take a cape buff and can also take an ele and is so much easier to handle in most field situations. Plus, it is easily doenloaded with Hornady 41 Mag pistol bullets for deer and hogs - it has become one of my favorite rifles.

WRT the pretty Pedersoli 86/71, there are many reports of failure to chamber even factory ammo, that the reputation of the 86/71 may be going the way of the Sabatti double rifle - do not function well out of the box. One shooter repoorted that after some costly work by a gunsmith, his 86/71 chambering problems were cured and the rifle shoots well now.
As always, buyer beware!

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/