Originally Posted by kaboku68
BassPro is bigger with more stores. Cabelas has more sales per store.

I just can't shop at BassPro, or the Gander Mtn. that just built a large store in my area...they are just too high!

I continue to buy at independent business...when they have anything in stock.

Funny story. I went to a BassPro in central GA. Remington had a $40 rebate on their SPS rifles. I noticed that the same model rifles had two different prices. I asked the guy behind the counter. He flipped the tag around and said that one price was the cost of the rifle...the other side reflected the cost after rebate.
I thought about that for a while, and came back. I told the guy that I usually didn't say anything about how a store does their marketing, but that really sucked. I also told him that I could drive in a 50 mile radius and beat their "after rebate" price, and see a better selection.
The guy said. "I know. I get that all the time. I don't buy firearms at BassPro...I can't afford to."
He added, "However, you would be surprised at the people who will come in and buy firearms, ammo, camo, camping equ., ect. all at one time, just so they can say they got it all at BassPro."
At that I let it go. The guy was being honest. I walked off and said to myself, "I'm not one of those guys."

The same could be said for Gander Mtn. After dealing with a really cocky department manager, I finally got the "It is our corporate policy that we make %40 on firearm and ammo sales." The franchise no longer holds any interest for me.