Originally Posted by Pete E
Sometime after Christmas, I may be in a position to take up saltwater fishing. It will be primarily from the shore, (I think in the US, it would be termed surfcasting?) but boat fishing might figure sometime in the future.

I know very little about this style of shore fishing, but most of the species around the UK coast seem to be sub 50lb. Cod and Bass seem to be popular target species, but we get a lot of others too.

I am looking to be using baits rather than lures and the traditional set-up seems to be a 12-’13’long rod off the beach using what we term a “multiplier” reel but what I think you guys would consider a conventional casting reel .

However in recent years Fixed Spool (spinning?) reels are gaining popularity as with other developments, they can almost reach the distances of a typical multiplier..

I should say I hate multipliers with a passion and I am only interested in a fixed spool.

Anyway, getting to the point, I am looking for input on the Penn Spinfisher V SS series and the US model of the Shimano Baitrunner D series ?

Penn in general doesn’t have a good reputation over here, but that seems to be more their lower end models?? The two reels mentioned are about the same price over here, and about the top end of my budget.

Any thoughts on either of those series of reels?
Sorry - where in the US are you moving to and what will you be fishing for? That will answer a lot of quesitons, casting far does not equal fish for example....