Originally Posted by mad_dog
Arthur sold most of his shares of Savage Arms in 1905, that's why I like the 1895's so much, after 1905 they weren't true Savages in my book... The concept was there and he followed through with it till it got big, then sold it off for a large profit,

I am not sure Arthur Savage left the company with a lot of money, I think he may have let the other investors he brought in to start the company have more power than he had himself. A newspaper article from 1907 about Arthur Savage suing Savage Arms for back wages mentions that he was under contract with Savage Arms as a manager and that the board relieved him of his duties before the end of his contract with his replacement telling him in early 1905 'to remove his effects form the company office'. Savage Arms continued paying his wage for a time but not until the end of the contract - he sued them for these back wages and won. During this court case a local church that Arthur had been renting a house added an attachment to the suit to get rent that he had left town owing them.

[Linked Image]

Here are some other articles- [Linked Image]

Last edited by GeneB; 11/22/15. Reason: added clippings

Gene