This forced me to dig out the cookbook put together by the church in which I grew up. It was more or less an exclusive club populated solely by descendents of Swedish immigrants. We somehow were accepted as the token Germans.

As alluded to earlier, there appear to be various versions of "Oostakaka" as I learned to pronounce it. Here are two rather dissimilar recipes from the cookbook. (Notice the spelling.)
I would imagine that I probably enjoyed both of these recipes somewhere along the line.

From Lorraine Brown (Mrs. Waldo)
Karla's Ostkaka

5 eggs
3/4 c. sugar (or less)
1/2 pt. whipping cream
1 tsp. vanilla
1 pt. creamy cottage cheese (2 c.)

Beat eggs. Add sugar, cream, vanilla, and cottage cheese. Bake at 350 for 1 hour. Stir every 10 minutes.

From Lenore Youngberg (Mrs. Arlyn)
Ost Kaka

2 gal. milk (unpasteurized)
1 c. flour
1 rennet tablet
1 c. sugar
pinch of salt
3 eggs
1 c. cream
1 c. milk
2 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. almond

Heat 2 gallons of milk to lukewarm. Mix flour in enough cold milk to make a medium paste; add to warm milk and stir in rennet tablet, which has been dissolved in a little lukewarm water. Stir until milk begins to curdle. Let stand 1/2 hour and pour into colander to drain off whey. Beat eggs, cream, milk, sugar, salt, and flavorings together. I assume that the almond refers to a liquid. Mix with curds. Put into buttered dishes and dot with butter. Bake 1 hour and 15 minutes at 350, or until set. Can be stirred after baking 1/2 hour. Makes approximately 3 1-quart containers.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.