I'll do what the mood strikes me,sometimes sitting there and grinding out a 6-10 shot group(certainly not every time. I only do something like that with a brand new rifle or load). But it doesn't take too much of this to get a handle on the measure of a rifles accuracy potential with a given load at that distance.

And sitting at 100 yards grinding out groups(whether 3 shots or 10) only tells you so much,as it pertains to hunting. It doesn't qualify as "practice" IMO except for trigger pulling. Of far more value to me are series of 3 shot groups at 300-600 yards. The faster I get off 100 yards with a rifle and load the happier I am.

Mostly because at any reasonable hunting distances,if you have to reach deeper than 3 shots the wheels have fallen off and you got other problems.

If it ( and you) do well at those distances, how it does at 100 yards becomes essentially irrelevant. If you aren't going to miss at 300-600,you certainly aren't going to miss at 100......or shouldn't.

This is from a hunting standpoint. These aren't target rifles we're shooting. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.