Originally Posted by curdog4570
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
he is Pastor of First Baptist in Dallas, a position which often leads to being named President of the Southern Baptist Convention.
A 1st Baptist church is part of the American Baptist convention, not the Southern Baptist. They're entirely separate other than in their beliefs.

I can't speak for Southern Baptists, but each American Baptist church chooses it's own minister. The ABC has no control at all on who they pick. If a church chooses such a man, it's that churches decision and has no reflection on the national convention or on any other individual church.

EVERY "First Baptist Church" I have attended, and been a member of, was a member of the Southern Baptist Convention.

ALL Baptist churches practice a Congregational form of church government and are an entity unto themselves.

If you want to research [I don't, I'm speaking just from my memory] I believe you will find that First Baptist of Dallas has often been the springboard to leadership in the SBC. The same can be said for First Baptist of Memphis and Atlanta.

The Roman Catholics don't have a lock on politics or money raising.

that's been my experience and understanding as well. at least down south. in my personal view, there's a more conservative side of the SBC, and a more moderate side. yet, the blanket remains in tact, so to speak.

we've had our fair share of uh...articulate speakers. seems like the more articulate they are, the greater the size of the congregation.

there's been a catholic spokesperson on the Fox nearly foreever. i think he has written a book or two.

i always liked to read of Malachi Martin's books about the vatican, etc. etc.