Cowboysforlife34: I quit having shoulder mounts of my trophies done by taxidermists MANY years ago - THEY simply priced themselves out of my business!
My wife did surprise me and had a pedestal head shoulder mount made for me of a 6x6 Bull Elk I killed here in Montana about 5 years ago - I scolded her for that but it is impressive.
Over these last MANY years I have had many demastid beetle European style skulls of Whitetails, Mule Deer and Antelope done - I can afford and think these works are worthwhile.
I doubt I will ever again in my lifetime have another shoulder mount done (I have had dozens done in the past!).
Taxidermists (head/shoulder mounts) are simply NOT worth what they are charging anymore!
I wish them well but they will have to do well without me.
European skull mounts and top quality pictures will fill my needs completely from here on out.
For instance I killed a trophy 12 point (6x6!) Whitetail Buck this week and sold the cape off of this 5 1/2 year old trophy and am having beetles clean the skull and the skull will go on an oak desk pedestal.
The taxidermist I took it to tried and tried to have me shoulder mount it - I refused.
Once I get the skull done I might tell him why?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy