I have a great deal of confidence with the 270 and would use it if I didn't have anything else. Has anybody here heard of Hoseah Sarber, the expert bear guide and hunter who ended up getting killed when he went into the brush with his 270 Win? Better bullets now but a lot of mental play from behind keyboards.

Unimak is not like other places. Think of it as the island in King Kong. They are really big bears. Sure it is open ground and you can shoot from 200 yards. But that bear will see you too.

Afognak or SE Alaska also has some really tight brush.
[Linked Image]
Heavy 30/06 has worked forever. However, has anybody read Elmer Keith's Rifles for Big Game. The 338 came into being because of failures on Brown Bears with 06.

You owe it to the animal to use rifles with enough knockdown power. Somebody is going to say yeah I can do it like Fred Bear, Charles Sheldon or Karamojo Bell. I have gone hunting with a 30/30 or with a 22-250 or a 26 nosler but I wasn't looking to take a very large bear with any of those rifles. Out of the three I would probably pick the 30/30 with 190 grain round nose bullets.
Staged or not this picture gets you thinking....
[Linked Image]

Last edited by kaboku68; 11/30/15.