Well things went well enough. I thought I had more of the 1 pound fibrous casings and only had three. So I only made 5 pounds this run, and used some 20mm calogen casings I had to use up the other two pounds.

Stuffed the casings
[Linked Image]

A happy smoker ready to roll. Three one pound fibrous casings in back, callogen casings in front. (Note: I had smoked ribs and a deer backstrap the night before and saw no reason to clean out the smoker for this smoke. That's why those drippings are in the bottom.)

[Linked Image]

Finished summer sausage.
[Linked Image]

I've tried mixing my own spice mix and tried various recipes for summer sausage, breakfast sausage, Italian's etc and finally just resigned myself to Lem seasoning packages. It's easy to use, no-brainer and so far I've been largely satisfied. My only complaint with their Summer Sausage seasoning is that it is a bit salty. However, when we ate the ones from early in the year that had been frozen several months, I didn't notice the salty taste, only when it was within days out of the smoker.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com