This year I moved to Wyoming. I wasn't able to go elk hunting this year but did get an antelope and a deer. I fully expect to go elk hunting next year but need some advice about the clothes to take (if your wondering why I'm asking this now it's because, being close to Christmas, there is a lot of stuff on sale).

I am rather stumped on what type of outer coat to get. I've heard some people suggest parkas and others say they're too bulky. Well, I do know I want something with with a waterproof and breathable membrane but am not sure what I need beyond that. What do you sugest I get for upper outerwear? I have been looking at Cabela's Dry Plus coats/jackets. Any experience with this line or a specific one you would suggest? What do you think would be a better choice?

I also don't know exactly what to do about underlayers. What I have in mind right now is a synthetic long underwear upper, then a poly fleece jacket, then a a wool sweater/jacket under whatever outerwear I get. I come from where it is quite hot and flat and have no November high mountain hunting experience so don't know if that system would be advisable.

Any advice and personal experience is greatly appreciated. You can count on me to consider it all.