Like everyone else have tried a lot of stuff over the years. Took me a long time to switch from wool. Synthetics are warmer than I thought they would be and they really do dry fast from your body heat. I usually wear gaiters which adds to the warmth so it has to get pretty cold before wearing long johns.
I find the fabric weight, ability to use a real belt and pockets are key for me. I like pockets that are secure and placed with some thought.
Brands, Eddie Bauer, North Face, Marmot, Reebok, Columbia and LL Bean have all worked for me. I prefer the heavier weight fabric when I know it will be cold all day.
I tried a Rivers West upland game type pant this year. Fleece with a waterproof barrier. Side zips to help get some air when it is warm. Wasn't that cold and when I moved a lot I sweat a little and no matter how I tried I could not get the moisture off the inside until I took them off at the end of the day. Nice idea, just didn't work that great for me.
My point with all this is that you always run a fine line with wind and wet and not getting too hot. I find that getting wet from sweating a lot is harder to fix than figuring out how to stay warm when it is cold.
Don't have to break the bank! I found most of my name brand, high end gear at garage sales and thrift stores.