I have custom stocked rifles. A Dakota would cost $10,000 set up,the way I would like. The Model 70 Jack O'Connor Rilfe in .270 Model 70 took me a long time to get and is worth more than I paid for it. The Super Grade .243 I have I have had Dealers offer well over what you seem to think one should go for. I have fired my Super Grade .243, it has a tiger striped stock, 22 inch barrel, and is one of the most perfect rifles I have seen at any price! I owned a Weatherby .257 W magnum, when I sold it to a BIG company they paid me what I bought it for, not a penny lost. So maybe looking at a rifle before you buy it has some advantages. That .243 Super Grade has been looked at and fired by a number of others! It is a lovely rifle and sure is accurate.

I have looked at some high end Model 70s, that were nicely stocked but NOWHERE near as nice as others. Even a custom rifle where you have seen the wood blank is not as exact a situation as seeing the rifle. My friend Jack O'Connor would regard a rifles that was not a "user" as a collector's item which is good for the industry, but I am not a collector at all! I handle more custom wood in a week than many people see in years. It is not all the same! Also I own stainless barrel and a action rifles, and some of the wood stocked rifles with amazing figure shoot extremely well for many years. Most of "us" when we sell a rifle it is NOT our favorite. So let's face it some things are not for sale.

Last edited by DaveyJ; 12/27/15.